- A top presidential aide has disclosed that President Buhari is tired of detaining Dasuki
- The aide said the president has given oreders that he should be released after the huge cash allegedly mismanaged by him is recovered
- The ECOWAS Court of Justice had last week ruled that Dasuki's continued detention was unlawful
There are indications that President Muhammadu Buhari, is no longer comfortable with the continued detention of Sambo Dasuki, the former national security adviser.
Vanguard reports that Buhari has reportedly instructed relevant organs handling Dasuki’s corruption case to take steps to recover all the money allegedly looted under him and release him afterwards.
This was disclosed by a top aide of the president in Abuja.
The official said: “I can tell you that the president is not comfortable with the continued detention of Dasuki despite the offences he allegedly committed against Nigeria and its people.
“The only condition Mr. President has asked Dasuki to fulfil is to refund the huge sum of public funds which were allegedly diverted under his watch as the NSA. And I want to tell you that we have the approval of Mr. President to release him (Dasuki) from detention as soon as he brings the money.”
Dasuki was arrested last year and has been in detention ever since for allegedly diverting billions of dollars meant for purchase of weapons to fight the deadly Boko Haram sect.
Dasuki had filed a N500million lawsuit against the government for keeping him detained since December 29, 2015 even after he was granted bail by three different high courts where he was arraigned on corruption charges.
On Tuesday, October 4, the ECOWAS Court of Justice ordered the Nigerian government to release Dasuki, while describing his arrest and detention as unlawful. The court ordered the government to pay a fine of N15 million as damages to Dasuki.