- Senate president Bukola Saraki and his deputy Ike Ekweremadu would not be facing prosecution despite police reports implicating them in case of Senate rules forgery
- It is said that the federal government may have dumped pursuing a criminal case against the duo in order to foster friendly relations between the executive and legislature
The Federal Government has dumped earlier plans to pursue fresh probe against Senate president Bukola Saraki and his deputy Ike Ekweremadu for reportedly masterminding the forgery of the Senate Standing Orders, 2015.
Punch reports that its investigations showed that the government might have closed the case despite fresh facts gathered by police in a new inquiry into the case.
It said its observations come amid the fact that the fresh report submitted by the police to the Office of the attorney general of the federation and minister of justice through the National Prosecution Coordination Committee heavily indicted Saraki and Ekweremadu.
The federal government had, on October 7, 2016, withdrawn the charges of criminal conspiracy before a High Court in Abuja and Sylvester Imhanobe, the secretary of the NPCC and special adviser to the AGF, confirmed that the AGF office received the report but that it would not change the earlier decision to withdraw the charges.
Punch quoted a source in the Justice ministry as saying that the federal government partly resolved to stop pursuing the case in order to “bolster the rapport” with the Senate.
NAIJ.com recalls that Saraki and Ekweremadu were fingered in senate rules forgery earlier this year. Both were said to have forged the rules to allow for their elections as Senate president and deputy respectively.