On Tuesday, January 10, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu and three other accused persons were in court for the commencement of a criminal trial against them.
The accused persons, Kanu, Benjamin Madubugwu, David Nwawuisi and Chidiebere Onwudiwe are being tried on charges related to treason, mismanagement of an unlawful society among others.
However, at the commencement of the trial yesterday, the visibly vexed defendants fumed over various issues relating to a proposed secret trial by the federal government.
The defendants also decried the use of handcuffs on them even while in court by security officials, an incident which was also brought before the court by counsel to the accused persons.
To this the trial judge Binta Nyako urged security operatives to desist from using handcuff on accused persons inside the courtroom.
Below are statements by Nnamdi Kanu:
1. Fulani herdsmen are killing people everywhere and you want to try me in secret
2. Bastards who not educated and you want to try someone who is learned are you mad?
3. How can you jail? (speaking indistinct Igbo); it is not possible.
4. Buhari committed treason in 1983, on December 31, 1983.
Below are statements by second defendant in the matter, Benjamin Madubugwu:
1. Do you see it, we are even on handcuffs inside the court, do you see what Buhari is doing; intimidation from Buhari
2. Nigeria is expired, Nigeria is an expired country was created in January 1, 1914 and Nigeria expired on December 31, 2013.
3. Nigeria is a fraud not a country, I have nothing in common with an Hausa and Yourba man, I’m a Biafran… and Nigeria must fall
4.You are killing my people, sending terrorists, killing my people and you are telling me Nigeria
5. Tell Buhari to carry gun and come, he will shoot us today.
6. He committed treasonable felony, 1983, when he overthrew Shagari, who tried him?
7. Abiola was tried in the open!