- A cousin to former president Goodluck Jonathan is set to fulfill his company's tasks
- Mr Azibaola Robert is in charge of constructing the Apo-Karshi road in Abuja
- Mr Robert had been under investigation for the money laundering by the EFCC
For 11 months the Apo-Karshi road in Abuja had been abandoned, despite the fact that it had been contracted out to a contractor.
Kakatar Engineering Limited which belongs to Mr Azibaola Robert who happens to be a cousin to former President Goodluck Jonathan was awarded the contract about 11 months ago and has since abandoned the project.
According to Premium Times, Kakatar has so far received N2.4 billion (N2,373,619,680.99), about 37 per cent of the contract sum, remaining a balance of over N3.9 billion.
However, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on March 17, 2016 arrested Mr. Robert and his wife, Stella, who is the executive director (Projects) of the firm.
Mr Robert was kept in the EFCC's custody of the commission for about two weeks and then charged to court where he was accused of using his companies including Oneplus Holdings, to benefit from the $2.1 billion allegedly diverted by former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, who is also being tried.
The former NSA, allegedly paid $40 million into Oneplus accounts controlled by Mr Robert, the EFCC told the Federal High Court where he is being tried. Mr Robert denied any wrongdoing.
While the case continued in court, the Apo-Karshi road and other contracts of Kakatar where put on hold.
This put hundreds of thousands of people who live in Karshi and neighbouring communities in major transportation problems.
Some of the residents complained bitterly about the state of the road. Stella Mba said: “Rather than spend 2 hours to get to city centre, the road will make me spend less than an hour, So I lose two hours every day due to the abandonment."
One of the engineers of the company, said: “We have not been working for close to six months now and no worker has been paid. We just come here, sit down and gist and go back to our homes”, said the engineer who refused to give his name.
“The company is having issue with the government. We are waiting for them to resolve the matter."
However, there is some hope as the director of Satellite Towns Development Department at the FCDA, Victoria Imande, revealed that Kakatar was making arrangements to return to the project site.
“They came to a meeting. They reported that they have made arrangements to resume work in January no matter what happens with their (court) case. They seem very confident,” she said.
Meanwhile, former President Goodluck Jonathan has finally spoken out concerning the controversial $2.2 billion allegedly distributed through the office of the National Security Adviser then headed by Sambo Dasuki.