Reps to investigate FG’s handling of meningitis outbreak

Reps to investigate FG’s handling of meningitis outbreak

- The House of Representatives invites the minister of health, Prof Isaac Adewole, to brief it on the ministry’s efforts in combating the meningitis scourge

- The lower chamber also instructs its committee on healthcare services to ensure there is no scarcity of the vaccine to treat patients and report back to the house within two weeks

- House member, Oghuma, expresses sadness that the disease is ravaging parts of the country unchecked

After over 300 deaths House of Reps take decisive action over Meningitis outbreak

House of Reps have invited the minister of health, Prof Isaac Adewole, to brief it on the ministry’s efforts combating the meningitis scourge.

The House of Representatives has resolved to investigate federal government’s handling of the recent outbreak of meningitis in parts of the country as the death toll from the disease across several states increased to 336.

READ ALSO: If you live in these states you are at the risk of meningitis (SEE FULL LIST)

The House has therefore mandated its committee on healthcare services to invite the minister of health, Prof Isaac Adewole, to brief it on the ministry’s efforts in combating the scourge, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

NAIJ.com learnt that the lower chamber also instructed the committee to ensure there was no scarcity of the vaccine to treat patients and report back to the house within two weeks.

The resolution followed the adoption of a motion entitled “Urgent Need to Curb the Scourge of Meningitis in Nigeria’’ sponsored by Rep. Johnson Oghuma (Edo-APC).

Moving the motion earlier, Oghuma had expressed sadness with the developing, saying that the disease was ravaging parts of the country unchecked.

He said that the scourge had so far killed no fewer than 230 persons, with numerous others hospitalised.

The lawmaker condoled with families of victims of the disease and said that the extent of the spread of the scourge would have been minimised if adequate proactive measures were taken.

READ ALSO: Oshiomhole visits Buhari at Aso Rock, presents gift

Oghuma said “the outbreak being an annual phenomenon, the Federal Ministry of Health ought to have been proactive to anticipate and put in plans to address it.

“This ravaging scourge of meningitis may not be over unless measures are taken to curb the spread,’’ he added.

NAIJ.com recalls that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said stated that the death toll from the Cerebro Spinal Meningitis, (CSM) outbreak across several states has increased to 336.

“As at April 3, 2017, a total of 2,997 suspected cases of CSM have been reported in 16 States in Nigeria, of which 146 have been laboratory-confirmed. Unfortunately, 336 deaths have also been recorded,” Lawal Bakare, a spokesperson of the NCDC said in a statement on Tuesday, April 4.

In the NAIJ.com video below, the family of the a petty trader identified as Kudirat Adebayo who was allegedly shot and killed by a stray bullet reportedly fired by a policeman are demanding justice:

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Breaking: Unofficial results emerge in Anambra election as vote counting continues in most areas

Breaking: Unofficial results emerge in Anambra election as vote counting continues in most areas

Breaking: Unofficial results emerge in Anambra election as vote counting continues in most areas
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel