BREAKING: 8 feared dead as Boko Haram opens fire on travellers in Borno

BREAKING: 8 feared dead as Boko Haram opens fire on travellers in Borno

- There are fears that 8 people have been killed and some others injured in Damboa, following an attack by Boko Haram

- The jihadists reportedly opened fire on travelers on the Maiduguri-Damboa road

- It is not yet certain what the casualty figures are

Emerging reports from Borno state suggest that some gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram Islamist, on Saturday, April 8, opened fire at private and commercial vehicles along the Maiduguri-Damboa road.

BREAKING: Many feared dead as Boko Haram opens fire on travellers in Borno

BREAKING: Many feared dead as Boko Haram opens fire on travellers in Borno

NAIJ.com gathered that vehicles attacked were those going to southern part of Borno state from Maiduguri, the capital.

Usually the vehicles are escorted by security personnel, they get to assemble at Molai on the outskirts of the city where they were attacked.

READ ALSO: Army, police battle militants, 7 security operatives killed

According to Daily Trust, shortly before taking off, some gunmen suddenly appeared and shot sporadically, killing scores and injuring many.

There was no comment from any of the security agencies on the attack, as at the time of filing this report.

Eight people were killed says a source named Mohammed Abubakar (who is a neighbour of one of the slain persons, Abba Gana Terab).

He said nine persons in a pick up van went in search of firewood for sale at a village near Molai where they met the prowling Boko Haram soldiers.

Abubakar said they did not take to the advice of the residents of Molai that Boko Haram always prowl the area for victims who they often murder for no apparent reason.

He said: “They were warned by the villagers of occasional activities of insurgents and went ahead to search for firewood.

“They were met by the insurgents who murdered them and burnt their corpses.”

Adding: “One of the nine was lucky to flee from them and able to recount their ordeal to the people who went in search of the corpses of the slain eight.”

Punch reports that he lamented “one of the dead is a neighbour whom we held funeral prayers for after 7pm on Saturday.”

Recall that about a week ago, about 22 girls and women were kidnapped by Boko Haram insurgents in two separate raids in north-east Nigeria, residents and vigilantes said.

UK Guardian reports that 18 girls were kidnapped in the first attack on Thursday, March 30, as the Islamist sect raided the village of Pulka near the border with Cameroon.

A Pulka community leader who asked not to be named for fear of reprisals said: “Boko Haram fighters from Mamman Nur camp arrived in pickup vans around 6am and seized 14 young girls aged 17 and below while residents fled into the bush.

They picked four other girls who were fleeing the raid they came across in the bush outside the village.”

The official disclosed that the insurgents who abducted the girls were loyal to the faction headed by Abu Musab Al-Barnawi, the son of Boko Haram founder Mohammed Yusuf. NAIJ.com recalls that Barnawi was appointed last year by Isis to replace Abubakar Shekau, the leader of the dreaded sect who had pledged allegiance to the jihadist group in 2015.

Barnawi was promoted after Shekau had been criticised for mass killings and bomb attacks against civilians.

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Police arrest Okada man for evil acts in Lagos

Police arrest Okada man for evil acts in Lagos

Police arrest Okada man for evil acts in Lagos
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel