- A Boko Haram artillery piece in the Sambisa forest has been bombarded by air force jets
- Air Force spokesman, Air Commodore Olatokunbo Adesanya, states that about seven insurgents were also observed in the area
- Adesanya says the Alpha Jet aircraft strafed the area with rockets and the general location of the artillery piece was completely engulfed in an inferno
An artillery piece being sneaked into Sambisa Forest by Boko Haram has been bombed by Nigerian Air Force fighter jets.
A statement by air force spokesman, Air Commodore Olatokunbo Adesanya on Friday, April 28, said the artillery piece, which was concealed under a tree, was sighted by a NAF Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft while on daytime patrol in the Sambisa general area.
Air Commodore Adesanya added that about seven insurgents were also observed to be moving out from under the tree, Daily Trust reports.
The air force spokesman said crew on board the ISR platform therefore immediately called for air strikes by NAF combat platforms.
He said following the alert, one Alpha Jet and one F-7Ni fighter aircraft were scrambled for air interdiction on the artillery piece.
Adesanya stated that the Alpha Jet and F-7Ni strikes were observed to have hit the target, adding that the Alpha Jet aircraft strafed the area with rockets and the general location of the artillery piece was completely engulfed in an inferno.
He said the subsequent Battle Damage Assessment (BDA) footage by a NAF ISR aircraft revealed that the strikes were successful as the artillery piece was neutralized.
"This is a follow-up to other interdiction missions previously carried out in the Sambisa general area and other suspected terrorists’ hideouts."
"With these successful attacks, the attempt by the remnants of the BHT to reinforce their capability with the artillery piece was thwarted," he said.
Meanwhile, the Defence Headquarters has reassured Nigerians that there is no “resurgence of insurgency’’ in the North East, particularly in Borno in spite of pockets of attacks and bombings in the state.
NAIJ.com reports that Maj-Gen. John Enenche, the Director Defence Information, gave the assurance on Friday at the monthly update on security situation nationwide.
Enenche said that the military, particularly the Nigerian army had re-strategised to deal with those attacks.
In the video below, Nigerian Air Force gives an update on operations against Boko Haram in 2017.