Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, (August 16, 1951 - May 5, 2010) was declared winner of the controversial presidential election which held on April 21, 2007.
Sworn in on May 29, 2007, Yar’Adua spent three years in power battling with his health challenges until death eventually won the battle.
He left Nigeria for Saudi Arabia to receive treatment for pericarditis. During his absence ex-President Goodluck Jonathan assumed the position of acting president after a vote by Nigeria’s National Assembly.
Yar’adua returned to Nigeria on May, 2, 2010, died on the 5th and was buried on the 6th, in his hometown in Katsina according to Islamic rites.
Today Saturday, May 5, marks the 8th year of his passing and NAIJ.com has compiled some of the most touching tributes to the late president.
1. Jonathan paid a glowing tribute to his former boss.
2. He was a man with integrity.
3. Nigeria was better during his administration.
4. Yar'Adua respected the rule of law.
5. He would have been the greatest president.
6. His death caused Nigerians good governance.
7. If death had not snatched him, Nigeria would have been better today.
8. His memory lives on.
9. A great leader Nigerians did not enjoy.
10. He will be remembered as the only president with integrity Nigeria has ever had.
11. He was a leader who put service above ambition.
12. Gone but still fresh in our memories.
13. His good works will continue to be cherished.
Nigeria is upside down - on NAIJ.com TV