- Saraki expresses delight over the release of 82 Chibok school girls but he was quick to note that work on the Chibok girls was not done yet
- According to him, the prayers and well-wishes of Nigerians and the global community, has led to the return of “more of our daughters”
- Atiku commends the Bring Back Our Girls Group (BBOG), which kept hope alive for the parents and Nigeria, refusing to let Nigerians forget the missing girls
Senate president Bukola Saraki on Sunday, May 7, commended the efforts by the President Muhammadu Buhari-led federal government, security agencies and the International Red Cross on the release of 82 of the Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram in 2014.
However, Saraki noted that work on the Chibok girls was not done yet, The Punch reports.
This was disclosed in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Yusuph Olaniyonu.
Saraki expressed delight at the development, saying that the prayers and well-wishes of Nigerians and the global community had led to the return of “more of our daughters.”
He said: “As a father, I can’t help but feel delighted and excited by the release of the 82 schoolgirls. When they were taken from us, the whole world joined in demanding for their return. Now, it is a testament to the tenacity and commitment of the federal government led by Mr. President that they are back with us and will soon be reunited with their families.
“Last year, we managed to secure the release of 20 girls. Today, (it is) 82. By this feat, those that are still out there should be rest assure that Nigeria will not forget them, and this government will continue to do everything within its power to bring them back home.
“Moving forward, the security forces must be commended. However, the work is not yet done, too many families are still anxious today. Too many of our daughters have not returned.”
The Senate President said the National Assembly would continue to do everything within its powers to augment the efforts by the executive and international partners in securing the release of more girls and ending the Book Haram menace “once and for all.”
Saraki added: “My colleagues and I in the 8th Senate will continue to remain committed to the cause of bringing back all our girls, ending the Boko Haram insurgency and ensuring the rehabilitation of the devastated North East zone. It is clear that we still have a lot to do. But God willing, we will be up for the challenge.”
In the same vein, former vice president Atiku Abubakar attributed the release of the 82 Chibok school girls to the hard work of the nation’s security services, the military and the leadership of President Buhari.
Atiku also commended the Bring Back Our Girls Group (BBOG), which kept hope alive for the parents and Nigeria, refusing to let Nigerians forget the missing girls.
Earlier, NAIJ.com had reported that Boko Haram released a batch of more than 80 of the Chibok high school girls who were abducted in mid-April 2014.
The release abducted school girls came after further negotiations between the Islamist group and the President Muhammadu administration.
Meanwhile, watch this touching NAIJ.com TV video of child survivors of Boko Haram activities in the northeast narrating their ordeal.