Editor's note: Amaso Jack, a faculty of the Nigerian Institute of journalism Ogba, public speaker and analyst writes on the composition of the Nigerian Army, insisting that it pro-north and not ideal for nationhood. An artist by training, he won the 1999 edition of the Musical Society of Nigeria (MUSON) art award.
From the British experience, colonialism and indeed civilization are the function of ethnic/racial control of military structures.
The Nigerian Army under Buhari is Northern and Islamic!
The present corruption fight, that has refused to find Babangida, Abdulsalami and APC friends of the president fit for prosecution is the story of what happens to the banks of civilization. In the stream however, the anti-corruption war is on and the shouts of stealing, (that shield and distracts the people from the truth on the banks) are also on.
The media trials, and the rivers of propaganda are the people in the stream, carried away (down stream) in their wild applause, in response to the news of loot after loot recovery, but unknown to them, they will soon be swept to the banks of civilization....the stream is the void between 1947 Balewa and 2017 Buhari......uunaware of what will happen on the banks of Balewa's civilization, for the former prime minister said:
"It has always been the traditional wish of the Fulani conquerors of Northern Nigeria to extend their conquest and rule to every part of British created Nigeria, and to spread the Islamic religion. They, therefore, took planned conquest, which they had to continue when the British were gone. This, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa spoke in 1947 against the British to take over. He warned that 'if the British depart, the Northern people would continue their interrupted conquest to the sea's."
To this might be added the views of Buhari himself who said:
"Muslima should only vote those who will promote Islam. We are more than the Christians if you add our Muslim brothers in the west.'' - Buhari (Liberty Radio Kaduna, 2003).
"I will continue to show openly and inside me the total commitment to the Sharia movement that is sweeping all over Nigeria. God willing, we will not stop the agitation for the total implementation of the Sharia in the country.''- Buhari (News24, August 27, 2001).
When the "streams arrives at the banks,'' peharps twenty years from now) the title and the lyrics of Elton John's song, "HOLY MOSES I HAVE BEEN DECIEVED" would be the lamentation of these praise singers, (then in their old age) blinded by their own short sightedness, from the coming perdition. They don't understand the place of coercion and war of attrition in Southern Kaduna, the Benue Valley, and other areas across middle belt and Southern Nigeria, are the perilous signals in the evolution of civilization, for which Buhari's sectional army is a deliberate design!
The lyrics of Elton John's "HOLY MOSES I HAVE BEEN DECIEVED" is the song waiting for them on the shores, after the streams of Buhari would have deposited them on the banks of Balewa.
When the British decided to use the Arabic logo of Usman Dan Fodio, the head of the Sokoto Caliphate's symbol of conquest, as the logo of the Nigerian Army (the exact when this was done, either before independence or at independence or in 1963 when Nigeria became a Republic; exactly one year after Buhari joined or was drafted into the force, after his "school certificate", is not known to this writer), they had passed the batton of colonialism from white to black, from external to internal!
Yet a blind generation void of history doesn't know.
The online news medium NAIJ..com, writing under the title: "THE REAL MEANING OF THE NIGERIAN ARMY LOGO REVEALED", gives this insight.....
Nowa Omoigui explains thus: "The adoption of the motto of the Sokoto Caliphate, as that of the Nigerian Army, was made by the British".
NAIJ also added: "The highly symbolic flag of the Caliphate was captured by the British, recaptured by gallant Sokoto Horsemen and recaptured again by the British.
"It was kept for many years as a British trophy in one of the officers’ messes in Kaduna but returned in a formal ceremony just prior to Nigerian Independence. The myth was spun and sustained by British Tradition."
In a multiethnic society like Nigeria, balance of power is not just between the Executive, the Judiciary and the Legislature, it is about federal character in the allocation of military positions.
There is a thin line between a national army and an internal army of occupation (within a federation like Nigeria) and Buhari has crossed that line.
When an ethnoreligious interest, by appointments within a short period dominates the national defence forces, the force would have shrunken into an army of internal occupation, this is the state of the Nigerian Armed Forces under Buhari, under whom the national defence forces by British design and Buhari's appointments have become an army of internal occupation!
Buhari has refused to talk about a NATIONAL CONFERENCE, the very idea the years of direct Northern military rule and indirect civilian rule through Obasanjo and Jonathan, their Southern stooges tried to do).
NAIJ.com would also add:
"The Arabic script: The transliteration of the Arabic script on the Nigerian Army logo is: Nasrunminallah which means Victory Comes From God Alone.''
This particular motto was inscribed on the banner under which the Nigerian indigenous forces battled against the invading colonial forces. It symbolizes the fact that the Nigerian Army stands to defend the territorial integrity of the country at all times. The motto was formerly that of Shehu Usman Dan Fodio, head of the Sokoto Caliphate. Contrary to what many think, the inclusion of the Arabic motto was not done singlehandedly by General Muhammadu Buhari (now president) or by northern elders but by the British.
Nowa Omoigui explains thus: "The adoption of the motto of the Sokoto Caliphate, as that of the Nigerian Army, was made by the British – before Nigerian Independence, and long before Major General M. Buhari (rtd) even joined the Army. The Nigerian Navy and Air Force have different mottos from the Army."
In African strategic politics, the position of the army is a position of strategic importance.
From the British experience, colonialism is the function of ethnic/racial control of military structures.
Buhari by his appointments in the Armed Forces has reduced the National Army to a 21st century Army of internal occupation under the Islamic motto:
NASRUNMINALLAH, translated to mean "Victory Comes From God Alone".
This was Usman Dan Fodio, ahead of the Sokoto Caliphate's banner of territorial conquest), that showed up in Afonja's Illorin and has dominated the place ever since.
The online medium NAIRALAND captures the structures of Buhari's Army of occupation this way:
1. C-in-C of The Armed Forces... Muhammadu Buhari (North)
2. National Security Adviser.... Gen Munguno (North)
3. Minister of Defence... Dan Ali (North)
4. Permanent Secretary Ministry of Defence.... Alhaji Danjuma Sheni (North)
5. Chief of Defence Staff... General Abayomi Olonisakin (Southwest)
6. Chief of Army Staff.... General Tukur Buratai (North)
7. Chief of Air Staff.... Air Marshall Sadique Abubakar (North)
8. Chief of Naval Staff... Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe (South)
9. The Nigerian Military Secretary (Army)....Major General Mohammed Garba (North)
10. Commander, Brigade of Guard.. Brigadier General Musa Yusuf (North)
11. Chief Defence Intelligence... General Saliu Usman (North)
12. Director Air Intelligence... AVM Shehu Adam (North)
13. Director Military Intelligence... Brigadier General AH Sa'ad (North)
1. Only two key positions are held by people from the South, held by Southwest (CDS) and Southsouth (CNS).
2. The Position of Chief-of-Defence Staff is more or less a ceremonial office, as the occupant commands no real commanding power. Non of the Service Chiefs report to him, they all report to the president Directly.
3. The only influential position given to the South is Chief of Naval Staff, However the Navy is the 'least influential' among the three services of the Armed Forces.
REMEMBER, DOMINION OF A PLACE IS THE FUNCTION OF MILITARY CONTROL
....and while this is going on, on the banks, the smog of deception called the anti-corruption fight, prevents us from seeing the banks, as we, by the currents of change drift towards the banks, peharps to be held captive in her vaults....but God forbids!
The disturbing fallouts of these appointments include:
(1) The unchecked activities of herdsmen across the country and their three fold trade marks of "SORROW, TEARS AND BLOOD", the words of the Afro beat legend, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, himself a victim of Buhari.
(2) The inability of Buhari's security forces to arrest the herdsmen responsible for the genocide in the middle belt, knowing the role of coercion and wars of attrition on the spread of an impending civilization.
(3) The Army of Occupation in the Niger Delta recently set the Ajapa community in the Arogbo clan in Ondo state ablaze, under the cover of looking for criminals.
(4) The swift arrest made in Ife, which is a direct contrast to the what happened in Benue.
Your own opinion articles are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org — drop an email telling us what you want to write about and why. More details in Naij.com’s step-by-step guide for guest contributors.
We’re ready to trade your news for our money: submit news and photo reports from your area using our Citizen Journalism App.