- Irabor has been replaced as Operation Lafiya Dole commander in the fight against Boko Haram
- He has been redeployed to the Multinational Joint Task Force where he will take over from Adeosun
- Adeosun will return to Abuja where he will resume work at the defense headquarters
The Cable is reporting that a major shake-up has occurred in the Nigerian Army with top commanders that led the fight against Boko Haram affected.
The report quotes a military source as saying that the development came as a surprise to the affected officers.
Some of the high-ranking affected are:
1. Lucky Irabor, theatre commander, Operation Lafiya Dole
2. Victor Ezuwgu, acting general officer commanding (GOC), 7 Division.
Both officers have now been transferred out of Borno state.
The two men will now be replaced by the duo of Major-General Ibrahim Attahiru, who is coming from the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna and Brigadier-General I.M Yusuf.
Irabor is expected to hand over to Attahiru on June 1 while Ezugwu hands over to Yusuf on June 10.
Irabor was appointed as the theatre commander just over a year ago on March 17, 2016.
NAIJ.com gathered that Irabor is being redeployed to the multi-national joint task force (MNJTF) where he will take over from Major-General Lamidi Adeosun while Ezugwu is being redeployed as General-Officer Commanding to a military formation in Zaria, Kaduna.
Adeosun, The Cable reports, is being redeployed to the defence headquarters in Abuja.
A senior military officer said the Army has never had commanders who had recorded tremendous successes in the war against insurgency like Irabor and Ezugwu.
He said: “The theatre commander and the GOC were the only commanders who went to the war front to engage Boko Haram terrorists.
“The GOC was always with troops on the war front and that was why we called him ‘the game changer’.
“These two powerful men have restructured the army and so far boost the morale of troops.”
Another commander also expressed concern over the redeployment.
He said: “Of course, we know that they won’t be here forever, that is the nature of this job. But I feel bad that these great men are leaving the theatre at this point.”
“We will be meeting on the 25 this month; that is where the theatre commander will officially announce his replacement. This is really sad.”
The development comes just days after the Nigerian Army announced the deaths of some Boko Haram commanders, who were killed in the air strike carried out by two Nigerian Air force jets some 40 kilometres (25 miles) from Damboa, last Friday, April 28.
Watch this NAIJ.com TV video of the Nigerian Air Force's operations against Boko Haram insurgents