There have been news reports that the people of Kogi state have plans to recall the Senator representing Kogi West, Dino Melaye.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared that it is not aware of moves by the people of Kogi West to recall Senator Melaye.
However, the constituents had commenced the process of recalling the senator for some days now by collecting signatures of electorate.
However, if they are going to be successful, below are some steps they must take according to Section 69 of the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria:
1. More than half of the registered voters in the Senator’s senatorial district write, sign and send a petition to the Chairman of INEC alleging their loss of confidence in the senator.
2. The petition must be signed, and arranged according to polling units, wards, Local Government Areas, and constituency.
3. INEC notifies the Senator sought to be recalled, stating that it has received a petition for his or her recall, if the petition is valid.
4. INEC issues a public notice or announcement stating the date, time and location of the verification of signatures to the petition.
5. INEC verifies the signatures to the petition at the designation. The signatories must be individuals who appear on the voters’ register.
6. INEC conducts a referendum if more than one half (50% + 1) of the signatories are verified
7. INEC writes to the petitioners stating that the minimum requirements for a referendum were not met, if the number verified is less than one half of the registered voters in that constituency. The petition will therefore be dismissed.
8. INEC conducts a referendum within 90 days of receipt of the petition if the minimum requirements for a referendum are met.
The referendum will be a simple yes or no vote on whether the Senator should be recalled, and will be decided by simple majority of the votes of the persons registered to vote in that Senator’s constituency.
9. If majority of the voters in the constituency vote ‘yes’ the chairman of the INEC will send a Certificate of Recall to the Senate President to effect the recall.
PAY ATTENTION: Watch more videos on NAIJ.com TV
10. The Senate president will show affected senator the way out of the Senate.
Meanwhile, Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi state, on Wednesday, June 14, described Senator Dino Melaye as a social deviant that should be checked by the Senate.
NAIJ.com gathered that the governor said the federal lawmakers needed to carry out the exercise urgently before they would be adjudged birds of the same feather with Melaye.
Watch this NAIJ.com video on the issue of Melaye's recall: