Any attempt to arrest Arewa youths will lead to problems – Junaid Mohammed

Any attempt to arrest Arewa youths will lead to problems – Junaid Mohammed

- Junaid Mohammed says the arrest of Arewa youths over the quit notice to Igbo would lead to crisis in the North

- Mohammed blames federal government for its irresponsibility in its selective handling of the threats from the southern and northern regions of the country

- His claim was backed by Alhaji Tanko Yakassai who also blamed the federal government for not tackling the threats by the IPOB on time

The call for the arrest of Northern youths, who signed the Igbo eviction notice, has been greeted with extreme repugnance by a second republic lawmaker and Northern elder statesman Dr. Junaid Mohammed.

According to Mohammed, the arrest of Arewa youths over the quit notice to Igbo, would lead to crisis in the North.

Mohammed made this known on Friday, June 23, in an interview with Vanguard.

He said that the federal government demonstrated irresponsibility in its selective handling of the threats from the southern and northern regions of the country.

Junaid Mohammed says any attempt to arrest Arewa youths will lead to problems

Junaid Mohammed says any attempt to arrest Arewa youths will lead to problems

READ ALSO: Those calling for the expulsion of Igbo from the north are suffering from a blood lust - Fani-Kayode

He said: “The threat to arrest the youth, in my opinion, is not only counter-productive but also inappropriate.

“This is because ideally, with the position of things, every Nigerian has the right to live and conduct their businesses in any part of the country.

“But the Federal Government left their toes behind when they allowed the IPOB, which is being financed by the Igbo political and business elites both in the country and in the Diaspora to be issuing statements freely.

“Therefore, any attempt to arrest Arewa youths will lead to problems. I am resident in Kano State and the last time the Kaduna State Government brought up the issue of arrest, there would have been violence if an attempt to arrest anybody by the police had been made.”

Mohammed’s assertion was also supported by the chairman of Northern Elders Council, Alhaji Tanko Yakasai, who blamed the federal government for not tackling the threats by the IPOB on time.

Tanko said the threat by IPOB led to the present crisis.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

He said: “I believe that the Federal Government was somewhat late in addressing the threats issued by the Igbo.

“These threats by both the North and South are unconstitutional and illegal because every Nigerian has the right to live and work in any part of the country he or she chooses.

“I think the Igbo should not allow a man, who was not even born during the civil war to incite violence in the country. Both the Hausa and the Igbo are well travelled traders and if this country splits today, that opportunity is gone, a market of 180 million people. All the regions will suffer for it.”

NAIJ.com earlier reported that Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna state had ordered that the youths be arrested. But up till now, no arrest has been made.

Meanwhile, watch video of Nnamdi Kanu addressing followers in Isiama Afara, Abia state

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Tanker catches fire on Lagos bridge, destroys 21 vehicles, motorcycles (video)

Tanker catches fire on Lagos bridge, destroys 21 vehicles, motorcycles (video)

Tanker catches fire on Lagos bridge, destroys 21 vehicles, motorcycles (video)
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel