- Junril Gunda discloses that the JTF was started in 2012 to repel Boko Haram terrorists out of Borno state
- He states that there were numerous challenges confronting the JTF because its members were not being paid despite taking part in almost every exercise in Sambisa forest against the terrorists
- The JTF legal officer reveals that JTF officers were usually the first to sight the terrorists and appealed for more funds to aid the organization
Junril Gunda, the legal officer for the Civilian Joint Task Force (JTF), has revealed the reason why members of the Boko Haram terrorist sect are more afraid of the civilian JTF than the army.
Gunda made the revelation in Maiduguri on Friday, June 30, during an interview session with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
According to Junda, the terrorists believe that they would go to hell if killed by a member of the JTF.
Gunda stated that the resolve of the JTF to protect communities in Borno state from the terrorists remains undaunted despite facing death daily.
He said: “The group (JTF) which is non profitable started in 2012 when our youths picked up sticks and said no more Boko Haram and they successfully pushed the terrorist group out of Maiduguri.
“Our civilian JTF has taken part in almost all the operations going on in Sambisa forest.
“It was also necessary because they are always the first to sight Boko Haram suspects during checks in the state capital.
“Boko Haram members are not afraid of the military, they are afraid of the civilian JTF; they believe if a civilian JTF kill any of them, they will go to hell. Many of them have said this during their testimonies.”
According to Gunda, the JTF was facing numerous challenges because its members were not being paid for the job.
He stated further: “Like I said earlier, it was a voluntary thing, so no one was paid any penny for the job and because of some difficulties and poor living conditions of the youths, some engage in begging to fend for themselves.
“It was as the result of this that Borno State Government decided to empower 1,400 of them as vanguards with the acronym BOYES and were being paid N15, 000 monthly.
“Government and other nongovernmental organizations must also give support to the other 20,000 youths who were not empowered.
“They should also give priority attention to widows of our deceased youths because we are left to carter for their welfare.
“Government should sponsor their children and give them a better life in recognition of the selfless sacrifices made by their parents.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that many people had been injured after a suicide bomber suspected to be a Boko Haram member blew himself up near a mosque in Sulimanti ward of Maiduguri, the Borno state capital.
Two suicide bombers stormed the area, but one fled without detonating his IED.
The area was searched for the fleeing suicide attacker by the Civilian JTF and volunteers.
Watch this NAIJ.com TV video of Boko Haram child survivors