One of the most difficult challenges after graduation is finding a job. Some people may be faced with this problem after they have studied courses specific to the most sought after careers. As a result, you just have to think more strategically. Many students have even started their own business while enrolled in school. The reason for this is to avoid unemployment after the completion of their studies. Among the top ten and most popular sought after businesses in Nigeria today is barbing. To learn more about this booming business and find out barbing salon business plan in Nigeria, continue reading this article.
A barber is one who cuts, shaves, grooms, and styles hair. This job is not just limited to males as women too have become interested in this line of work. Just like any other job, barbering is important and is not as easy as it may seem. This job will always be in demand because human hair grows daily and is in constant need of grooming and maintenance.
In barbering, males are the most frequent clients. An average man may visit the barber every week and during this visit, he will spend at least 200 Naira. Depending on the style and the hair salon this value may increase. From calculations, an average man can spend as low as 800 Naira at the hair salon monthly. So if a barber can get at least 10 clients each day over a 30 day period he can earn at least 60,000 Naira. If you happen to be on a high side and provide great value, you can even charge up to 800 Naira per person. Considering an average of ten clients during a 30 day period, that would give an income 240,000 Naira monthly.
If you are considering the possibility of venturing into this industry then you should plan well in order to reap great benefits.
Barbing salon business plan
When planning to open a barbing salon you should first formulate a business plan. In doing so you should take into consideration the following:
1. Skills & Qualifications
Before you begin, even if you just want to employ people to work for you and become a manager, you should know what the job requires. In the event when your employee is busy, you should be able to fill in. You should do your best to learn and make sure you are at least, averagely skilled. To do that you must become trained and qualified.
This is important for every business. Before beginning, ensure that you are up to date with all documents and licensing to avoid closure, unemployment, and embarrassment.
3. Name and slogan for your salon
Your name and Slogan is very important. It should be easy to read, pronounce, and remember. Choose a slogan that will make sense and will be difficult to forget.
Choose a busy and popular location. One that is easy to access. If you are lucky, a salon in the city center, a busy plaza or beside a busy road would be great.
5. Interior and Exterior Decor
Decor is important. This environment should be comfortable, professional and very well put together. Think carefully about your decor ideas and remember, don't over do it!
READ ALSO: 5 Classy Places To Get A Haircut In Lagos.
Below is a list of important equipment that you must have:
● Beautiful furniture
● Cover clothes
● Electronic sterilizers/ sterilizer kits
● Entertainment system
● Hair products & cosmetics (hair creams, hair sprays, dyes, relaxers, conditioners, alcohol, etc.)
● Head washing basin
● Interior decorations
● Lightning and wiring
● Long and wide wall mirrors
● Original clippers
● Rotating/ barber chairs
● Standby generator
● Standing fans/ air conditioners
● Waiting chairs
7. Additional services
This business is quite competitive, so in order to stand out and become the best, you must make other services available. These additional services can make you a one-stop shop, Barbering and more! Here are a few ideas to consider:
● Facial masks. These are very popular now. If you offer this service, you will be pampering your client and saving him/her time. You can consider deep cleansing masks, like the Black mask for instance.
● Men love cologne and women love it on them, add this to your list!
● Invest in an Xbox or other videos games to occupy your client's time while they sit in the waiting area.
● Sell food and drinks.
● Offer training services.
● Offer waxing and other spa services.
As your business expands you will need all the extra hands you can get. You will need additional barbers, a janitor, and a receptionist.
In this technologically advanced era, you will need to have social media accounts. This would allow people to see your work and to keep up to date with you. This medium will help to build your clientele. Flyers, radio, and television advertisements are also a good investment.
This plan is similar to what is required for a hair salon business plan. The only differences between the two are that:
● A person trained to work in a barbing salon are called barbers. They are qualified to offer services that mostly deal with short haircuts, washing, beard trimming and shaving. These salons also accept walk in clienteles mostly.
● A hair salon has trained cosmetologists who are skilled in styling hair. They also have a wider array of services that include: chemical services, braiding, sewing, and curling, just to name a few. Most times an appointment has to be booked at these salons.
Now that you have been provided with all the necessary information, take them into careful consideration. Before you begin, ensure that you have done all that is necessary. In this business, it is important to stay relevant and current, so always think of new ideas that can set you apart and push you to become the best. I wish you all the best and continued success in your new business.
READ ALSO: Meet Enugu lady barber (photos).