- The ministry which is headed by Kayode Fayemi asked the licensed dredgers in Lagos to shun the 'stop work' order from Akinwunmi Ambode
- Lagos state government and the mines and steel development ministry said it was still studying the ruling of an appeal court over the lingering battle
- The ministry accused officials of Lagos state of trying to bend the ruling of the appeal court
The official battle between the federal government and Lagos state continued on Monday, August 7, 2017 with the ministry of mines and steel development asking dredgers in Lagos to return to site.
The federal ministry headed by former Governor Kayode Fayemi asked the duly licensed dredgers to disregard a recent ‘stop work’ order issued to them by Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos.
Ambode’s order had followed a ruling of an appeal court in favour of the state.
While the ministry said it was still studying the ruling of the appeal court, it asked the dredgers “to continue about their lawful operations.”
“Particularly, we wish to frown at the way officials of the Lagos state government have gone about deliberately distorting the pronouncement of the appeal court in this matter.
“It is trite to state that by virtue of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1999 as amended), federal laws in respect of administration of mining activities and utility of inland waterways supersede those of states.
“A cursory review of the ruling of the learned justices of the Court of Appeal indicates a clear recognition of the powers and responsibilities of the various arms and organs of government with respect to administration of mining and inland waterways.
“We are therefore at a loss as to why officials of Lagos state government will willfully attempt to inverse the ruling of the court to suit their much anticipated outcome.
“The learned justices were clear about the extent and limitation of powers of the various arms of government,” a statement made available to NAIJ.com stated.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
The statement signed by Mohammed Abass, the permanent secretary of the ministry, said the government establishment had already commenced the process of consultations with all relevant and affected arms and agencies of government.
“We are confident that an amicable resolution of this issue would be reached in no time, while also committing ourselves to the implementation of lawful court judgments,” the statement added.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that for Lagos residents who dump their refuse indiscriminately on the streets and dredgers sand-filling wetlands, the time of reckoning has come.
According to Babatunde Adejare, the commissioner for environment, while speaking on Friday, August 4, during a programme on Channels Television said they would be severely punished.
Mr Adejare, the PSP (private sector participants) could no longer cope with the quantum of waste being generated in the state estimated at 13,000 metric tons per day.
Watch again the tragedy that hit the All Progrssives Congress (APC) in Lagos during the recent council elections in the state: