- Family members of some of the 1600 Boko Haram suspects under aegis of KNIFAR have launched a fund raising exercise to get justice for the suspects
- The group said their relatives who are in military custody were victims of Boko Haram violence
- They are demanding the immediate release of the suspects who had been taken into custody since 2015
About 1200 family members of some of the 1600 Boko Haram suspects on Sunday, October 8, launched a fund raising exercise to back their campaign for justice for them, Premuim Times reports.
The launch is coming less than 24 hours to the commencement of trial of the Boko Haram suspects.
The family members, who are mostly women living in IDP camps, insist that some of the suspects who are being detained by the Nigerian military are innocent.
They also lamented that they could not appear before the presidential panel set up to review alleged rights abuses by soldiers.
They however formed a movement called KNIFAR to coordinate their quest to secure justice for family members.
The group also said they complained to the panel that they had not been able to speak for their relatives in detention but were told they would only be heard if they could travel down to Abuja.
According to the group, their relatives were victims of Boko Haram violence caught between the fighting forces of soldiers and Boko Haram before the soldiers arrested them as Boko Haram suspects.
The group said they had no resources to travel to Abuja, hence their decision to launch an appeal for fund from Nigerians to help them get justice for their relatives.
KNIFAR members added that they submitted a petition to the presidential panel when it commenced sitting in Maiduguri recently but had not been invited to its public hearing before the panel ended its sitting.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
The family said they were sure of the innocence of their relatives and are demanding their immediate release by the military whom they said had failed to arraign them before the court since taking most of them into custody in 2015.
In an earlier report by NAIJ.com, the federal government of Nigeria through Abubakar Malami, the attorney-general of the federation and minister of justice, announced the resumption of the trial of suspected terrorists.
The trial, which was suspended since the annual vacation of judges across the country began in July, according to the Malami will continue on October 9.
Survivors of Boko Haram - on NAIJ.com TV.