The headlines of mainstream Nigerian newspapers for Tuesday, October 10, 2017, are focused on the NNPC describing the allegations of Ibe Kachikwu, against its GMD, Maikanti Baru, as baseless among other stories.
The Punch reports that the group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Maikanti Baru, on Monday, declared that it was most unfortunate for the minister of state for petroleum resources, Ibe Kachikwu, to assert that he (Kachikwu) was never involved in the recent Crude Oil Term Contracts.
Kachikwu, who is the chairman of the NNPC board, in a leaked memo to President Muhammadu Buhari, had alleged that against the rules, Baru awarded major contracts worth $25 billion without reviewing or discussing them with him or the corporation’s board.
“The legal and procedural requirements are that all contracts above $20m would need to be reviewed and approved by the board of NNPC. Mr. President, in over one year of Mr. Baru’s tenure, no contract has been run through the board.
“As in many cases of things that happen in NNPC these days, I learn of transactions only through publications in the media,” Kachikwu wrote.
But in an official response issued by the NNPC’s group general manager, Group Public Affairs Division, Ndu Ughamadu, in Abuja on Monday, the corporation faulted the assertions of the minister, adding that his (Kachikwu’s) recommendations with respect to the Crude Oil Term Contracts were taken by the NNPC management.
Vanguard reports that the NNPC, on Monday, described the allegations of Kachikwu, against Baru, as baseless and accused the minister of exaggerating and concocting figures to give vent to his claims.
The NNPC, in a response to the letter of Kachikwu, signed by Ughamadu, maintained that due process was followed in the various activities.
“Furthermore, it is established that apart from the Ajaokuta-Kaduna-Kano(AKK) pipeline project and Nigerian Petroleum Development Company, NPDC, production service contracts, all the other transactions mentioned were not procurement contracts.
“The NPDC production service contracts have undergone due process, while the AKK contract that requires FEC approval has not reached the stage of contract award,” he said.
The Nation reports that a former Nigerian Bar Association president, Olisa Agbakoba (SAN) has sued the federal government over alleged violation of the Federal Character principle in the composition of the NNPC board.
He said none of the persons appointed to fill the nine positions is from the states that make up the Southeast geopolitical zone.
According to Agbakoba, more than one person was appointed from other geo-political zones in violation of the Constitution.
Members of the board include Dr Tajuddeen Umar (northeast), MaikantiBaru (northeast), Abba Kyari (northeast), Mahmoud Isa-Dutse (north central), Mallam Mohammed Lawal and Mallam Yusuf Lawal (both northerners).
This Day reports that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Monday said he had no plan to contest the 2019 presidential election.
Osinbajo said this when he was asked at the Financial Times Africa Summit in London if he had considered running for the presidency.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
“None of that is on the cards,” the vice president reportedly said.
Osinbajo had earlier disowned a group known as Osinbajo Volunteers, which is campaigning for his election as president in 2019.
His media aide, Laolu Akande, had asked Nigerians to disregard the group, adding that he had nothing to do with them..
The EFCC stage a walk against corruption - on NAIJ.com TV