40 Boko Haram terrorists surrender in Borno

40 Boko Haram terrorists surrender in Borno

- 40 members of Boko Haram has reportedly surrendered in Borno state

- The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps said the Boko Haram members indicated their intention to renounce membership of the terrorist group

- It said negotiations between the command and insurgents were conducted through a firewood vendor

The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in Borno says about 40 Boko Haram insurgents have indicated willingness to surrender to the corps in the state.

The Commandant of the corps in the state, Ibrahim Abdullahi, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) on Wednesday in Maiduguri.

READ ALSO: Gunmen kill Moses Gwom, ex-Plateau SSG, injure 12 others

Abdullahi said that the insurgents had indicated their intention to renounce membership of the terrorist group but through an intermediary.

He said that negotiations between the command and the insurgents were conducted through a firewood vendor.

He also said that six insurgents had earlier surrendered to the corps in the last one month in the state.

The commandant stated that the extremists surrendered voluntarily under the Federal Government’s Safe Corridor Initiative(SCI).

“About 40 of the insurgents have come forward to surrender. They indicated that many of them are willing to lay down their arms,” Abdullahi said.

According to him, the command has also conducted town hall meetings with communities and religious leaders to enhance security in the state.

NAN report that hundreds of the insurgents had surrendered to the Nigerian Army under the SCI in the past three months.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

The surrendered insurgents are currently undergoing De-radicalisation process at the Military Rehabilitation Centre, Gombe, to facilitate their reintegration into the society.

Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had reported that the Nigerian army engaged in a shootout with Boko Haram killing three terrorists while a soldier was left injured.

Brigadier-general Sani Usman who is the spokesperson of the Nigerian army said they were intercepted in Lingir village of Borno state while trying to herd rustled cattle into the Maiduguri cattle market.

Boko Haram abducted my husband and the Gov't forgot about him - on NAIJ.com TV.

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Finally! NECO completes its N120 million administration building after 10 years

Finally! NECO completes its N120 million administration building after 10 years

Finally! NECO completes its N120 million administration building after 10 years
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel