At least 3 local government areas in Borno are still controlled by Boko Haram - UN

At least 3 local government areas in Borno are still controlled by Boko Haram - UN

- The United Nations has stated that at least three local government areas in Borno state are still under the control of Boko Haram terrorists

- This is contrary to claims made by the Nigerian army, that there were no areas still under the control of the terrorists in the northeast state

- The army has refused to provide any immediate comment on the issue until it studies the report of the global body thoroughly

The Nigerian military’s claim that no part of Borno state was still under the control of terrorist group, Boko Haram, has been countered by the United Nations, Premium Times reports.

The development was made public in a report titled ‘North-East Nigeria: Humanitarian Situation Update’, which was issued by the United Nations’ Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian (OCHA).

READ ALSO: Operation Crocodile Smile 2: Bishop, 18 others arrested for criminal offences in Akwa Ibom

NAIJ.com gathers that contrary to the military’s claim, the UN stated that at least three local government areas in the northeast state are still under Boko Haram control.

The global body further disclosed that the activities of the terrorist sect may increase in the coming months, as the dry season arrives.

The report also highlighted the difficultly faced by humanitarian organizations in accessing the affected areas, due to the presence of the terrorists.

It stated in part: “Insecurity, presence of mines, improvised explosive devices, and unexploded ordinances have continued to slow down the response of humanitarian agencies in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.

“Most roads to the south, southwest and east remain unusable due to security concerns; and most humanitarian personnel movement is done through air assets. Cargo, however, is being transported via road with armed escorts as a last resort.

“No humanitarian aid is currently reaching locations in these LGAs outside of the LGAs main towns called ‘headquarters’.

“Following advocacy efforts, Konduga and Mafa are now also accessible to aid groups without military escorts.”

However, in a chat with newsmen, Sani Usman, director, army public relations, stated that until it had studied the report, the army would not comment on the matter.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Recall that NAIJ.com previously reported that the Nigerian army on Friday, September 22, said it had reclaimed all territories earlier ransacked by Boko Haram insurgents in the northeast.

Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, deputy director, army public relations, said this in a statement issued in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital.

Survivors of Boko Haram - on NAIJ.com TV:

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
You will vote and live - Police tell Anambra people

You will vote and live - Police tell Anambra people

You will vote and live - Police tell Anambra people
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel