- Two people have reportedly been shot dead in Sopp village, Riyom local government area of Plateau state
- They were allegedly killed for attempting to grab rifles from soldiers during a protest
- Captain Umar Adams, the spokesperson for the OPSH, confirmed the death of the two people
Two people were said to have been shot dead after some soldiers clashed with some youths in Sopp village, Riyom local government area of Plateau state.
Punch reports that that the youths were protesting against alleged poisoning of a 32-year-old during an air raid by members of the military Special Task Force, code-named Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), leading to the death of two persons.
NAIJ.com gathered that the corpses of those who died during the protest had been deposited in a mortuary.
READ ALSO: Buhari sacks Maina from service
Captain Umar Adams, the spokesperson for the OPSH, confirmed the death of the two people.
Adams said: ''There is an old well in the community that was constructed in 1985 but was abandoned for many years. Apart from the fact that we carry out security activities to ensure that we avert crisis and promote unity, we sometimes carry out social responsibilities.
“Our troops in Riyom said, ‘This well has been left to waste. Why don’t we revive it so that at least everybody can benefit?’ That was why our troops decided to look for well drillers. Two young men volunteered and said they could do it because that was their job.
PAY ATTENTION: Get more videos on Naij.com TV
“I cannot tell how those boys got inside the well with their working tools. The debris that had accumulated inside the well, I guess, led to their death. They may have choked to death.
“The youths mobilised in hundreds and started a violent protest against our troops, alleging that our soldiers killed their people, to the extent that they started damaging the accommodation of our troops. Even the equipment in their rooms, including television sets and generators, were scattered and damaged.''
The captain said the two people were shot for attempting to grab rifles from soldiers during the protest.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had reported that about 411 members of the Boko Haram sect were killed in an air strike carried out by the Nigerian military on Saturday, October 21.
The report quoted local hunters and members of the Civilian JTF saying the airstrike took place around forested areas in Gudumbali village.
Nigerian Air Force operations against Boko Haram - NAIJ.com TV: