UK - A toddler drank half a glass of whisky through a straw after a restaurant accidentally served him spirits instead of fruit juice at his second birthday party.
Sonny Rees drank the 40% alcohol, which was served with water, when the error went unnoticed. But when he started pulling strange faces and wriggling in his chair each time he took a sip, his mother smelled the unmistakable whiff of spirits in his glass.
Sonny was taken to an accident and emergency unit where he was kept under observation by doctors.
His anxious mother, Nina Rees, 34, says: "We went to the restaurant just after midday, and I had ordered him lime juice and water, his favourite. The drinks arrived, and I was encouraging him to take sips because he was eating salty things. We had finished our first course when we noticed he was pulling a face as he was drinking. I took the glass from him and took a sip myself.
"It was whisky, I would say a double. As soon as I sipped it I had the slight burning feeling in my throat and warming in my chest. Sonny had taken about ten sips - he was obviously intoxicated. I immediately went into a panic and a rage - I was crying my eyes out."
Mrs Rees, her husband Howell and six other family members took Sonny to a local restaurant for his birthday. The family ordered a fruit cordial for Sonny - but staff mixed up Sonny’s drink with a whisky and water ordered by one of the male visitors.
The family even took birthday photos of Sonny with his drink, not realising what it actually was.
The two-year-old has now completely recovered while the restaurant carries out an investigation into Saturday's drinks mix-up.