- The former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki, was brought to an Abuja Federal High Court on Wednesday
- Dasuki who has been in detention is to testify in the ongoing trial of Olisa Metuh
- The former national security adviser pleaded loss of memory
The former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki, is currently in court for the trial of the past spokesperson of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh.
Dasuki appeared at the Federal High Court in Abuja at about 8.40 am on Wednesday, November 1, wearing a light blue guinea brocade and a deep blue cap.
Dasuki was called as witness in the ongoing trial of Metuh before Justice Okon Abang.
However, upon appearing in the witness box, the former national security adviser told the court that he would not be testifying due to loss of memory.
Dasuki's counsel, Ahmed Raji, who spoke on his behalf said the former NSA lost his memory due to his two year of incarceration.
Raji said the evidence to be given is only a small aspect of his client's tenure as the NSA.
He added that his client does not have, "access to relevant files, records and documents required to refresh his memory of any decisions or actions he took or authorised in the course of his duties."
Raji also prayed the court to "tarry a while" in proceeding on the matter pending the determination of the appeal before the Court of Appeal in Abuja.
In his submission, counsel to Metuh, agreed with Raji that the former NSA needed additional time to access his documents to be able to testify in all the courts he is facing charges.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that the former national security adviser and the past president Goodluck Jonathan were expected in court as defence witnesses in the trial of Metuh.
However, last week, the duo failed to appear in court to give testimony on the matter.
Justice Abang in his ruling, ordered that the former president and his then NSA appear before it on Wednesday.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
The court summoned Jonathan and Dasuki following an application by Metuh requesting that they be ordered to testify in his defence with respect to the sum of N400 million which he was said to have received fraudulently from the Office of the NSA in 2014.
In reaction, Jonathan, on Monday, October 30, asked the court to set aside the order requiring him to appear as witness in Metuh’s trial.
Jonathan also asked the court to order Metuh to deposit with the court the sum of N1 billion to cover travelling expenses for himself and his security personnel from his hometown, Otuoke in Bayelsa state, to Abuja.
The EFCC stage a walk against corruption - on NAIJ.com TV