Africa is the world's second largest and second most-populous continent with an estimate of 1.2 billion people as of 2016.
The continent contains about 54 fully recognised sovereign countries, nine territories and two de facto independent states with limited recognition.
The African Union is a continental union consisting of all 55 countries on the African continent, extending slightly into Asia via the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt.
The bloc was established on May 26, 2001 in Addis Ababa Ethiopia and launched on July 9, 2002 in South Africa with the aim of replacing the Organisation of African Unity (OAU).
The most important decisions of the AU are made by the Assembly of the African Union, a semi-annual meeting of the heads of state and government of its member states.
The AU's secretariat, the African Union Commission, is based in Addis Ababa.
Africa has made important contributions to the United Nations mandate of promoting international cooperation and maintaining international order.
The African continent contains 54 of the UN’s 193 member nations. However, they often act individually, and, with few exceptions, their engagement is not consistent with the collective strategy or vision adopted at the regional level.
Here are some of the ways Africa has made contributions to the UN below:
1. African nations have contributed civilian staff and troops for UN peacekeeping missions across the globe.
2. The continent also contributes to developing new ways of addressing the root causes of conflict that threatens world peace.
3. African nations release their own cadres to lead UN efforts in the promotion of the Charter’s values globally.
4. Africa’s contributions in the development of new doctrines and practices are equally noteworthy. Africa is used as an experimental ground for emerging doctrines and new practices on a whole range of issues.
PAY ATTENTION: Get more videos on Naij.com TV
5. African countries also contribute to the UN budget which is used to fund several UN projects globally including UN food aid, and medical aide among others.
6. African countries contribute to the UN refugee programme by providing facilities and sites for refugee camps.
7. The AU also contributes to the UN objective of maintaining peace across the globe by stabilizing the African region.
What is working well and what needs improvement in Nigeria? on NAIJ.com TV