Metuh’s lawyer Etiaba threatens to withdraw if Jonathan refuses to testify in court

Metuh’s lawyer Etiaba threatens to withdraw if Jonathan refuses to testify in court

- Counsel to Olisa Metuh, former publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Emeka Etiaba has threatened to withdraw from Metuh's trial

- He said he would have no choice than to quit if former president Goodluck Jonathan is not allowed to testify in court

- The court bailiff had on Monday, December 4, reported that the third attempt to effect personal service of the subpoena of October 23 on Jonathan failed

Counsel to Olisa Metuh, former publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Emeka Etiaba (SAN) has threatened to withdraw from his money laundering trial, if the Federal High Court in Abuja interferes with his plans for the defence.

Daily Trust reports that Etiaba told Justice Okon Abang that if part of the plan, which was to allow former president, Goodluck Jonathan to testify and Metuh would also testify and close his case, was not allowed, he would have no choice but to exercise “my right to withdraw from further representing the first defendant.”

READ ALSO: FG lists steps to take to be safe during Xmas, New Year as police offer assurances

NAIJ.com gathered that Metuh is facing seven count charges alongside his company, Destra Investment Ltd, for allegedly receiving the sum of N400million from former NSA, retired Col. Sambo Dasuki for PDP’s 2015 election campaign.

At the resumed hearing on Monday, December 4, the court bailiff reported that the third attempt to effect personal service of the subpoena of October 23 on Jonathan failed as he was asked by his aides to return on December 11 for the service.

Justice Abang had sought to know if Etiaba would not make progress in the matter if the former president is not in court to testify. But he requested the court to adjourn the case till after the December 11 date to allow the bailiff another attempt at personal service on Jonathan.

In his submission, EFCC counsel, Sylvanus Tahir asked the court to close Metuh’s case based on Section 250 (2) (b) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015 in the absence of any other witness if the former president fails to show up.

“There must be an end to litigation. The court cannot wait ad infinitum,” he said.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app

In his ruling, the judge approved final service of the subpoena on Jonathan for December 11, and ordered Metuh to proceed with any other witness on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that a counsel representing a former national publicity secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh, said his life is in danger as former president Goodluck Jonathan is demanded to appear in court as defence witness.

The EFCC stage a walk against corruption - on NAIJ.com TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Ambode's troubles continue as Tinubu, other APC leaders refuse to endorse him

Breaking: Tinubu refuses to endorse Ambode as Governor’s Council insists on direct primaries

Breaking: Tinubu refuses to endorse Ambode as Governor’s Council insists on direct primaries
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel