Ekiti Panel: Fayemi asked to account for N2.75bn allocated for construction of an ultra-modern market

Ekiti Panel: Fayemi asked to account for N2.75bn allocated for construction of an ultra-modern market

- A panel set up by Governor Fayose to probe the state’s transaction under former governor Fayemi has submitted its report

- The panel indicted the former governor and asked him to account for N2.75bn allocated for construction of an ultra-modern market in Ado Ekiti, amidst other allegations

- The panel also stated that the claim by Coscharis Motors that it supplied 235 and/or 250 vehicles under the previous administration was fraudulent

The Ekiti State Judicial Commission of Inquiry set up by the state government to probe financial transactions of the state between 2010 and 2014 has submitted its report.

The panel, headed by Justice Silas Oyewole (retd.), submitted the report to Governor Ayodele Fayose on Wednesday, December 14, Punch reports.

NAIJ.com gathered that the panel's reports indicted former Governor Kayode Fayemi stating that the contractor that handled the furnishing of the government house under his administration inflated the contract.

READ ALSO: Rumours of 2019 alliance thickens as Tambuwal holds secret meeting with Wike, Ibori

The reports also asked the former governor to account for N2.75bn allocated for construction of an ultra-modern market in Ado Ekiti which was allegedly not built.

The panel further submitted that Coscharis Motors did not supply the number of vehicles it claimed under the previous administration.

It said: “Claims by Coscharis Motors that it supplied 235 and/or 250 vehicles was fraudulent and was fraught with so many contradictions.”

It also said that Ekiti state government does not have a Liason Office in Ibadan where the motors dealer company said it supplied vehicles to.

“Coscharis Motors supplied some vehicles outside Ekiti state, especially at the Ibadan Liaison Office when the Ekiti State Government does not have a liaison office in Ibadan,” the panel added.

PAY ATTENTION: Read best news on Nigeria's #1 news app

In his reaction to the reports, Governor Fayose said he did not set up the panel to witch-hunt anybody.

He noted that asking people to account for their stewardship is not witch-hunt , as leaders must be accountable to their followers.

Fayose said: “I appreciate the panel members for a thorough job done. The time and energy they put into the job. The panel waited for the outcome of the court case instituted by former governor Kayode Fayemi before it concluded its job. We did this because we believe in the rule of law and if the court had ruled that we should stop, we would have stopped.

“There is no witch-hunt in a situation whereby people are asked to account for their stewardship. I am glad that the Federal Government is also pursuing the policy of accountability and we are following suit here too.”

The governor, thereafter, inaugurated another panel to look into the reports and produce a White Paper from it.

NAIJ.com previously reported that an Ekiti high court on Wednesday, December 6, held that the judicial panel set up by the Ekiti state government to probe its former governor, Fayemi, and his administration is lawful.

The court also said that the legality of the judicial panel set up to probe all the financial transactions of the Ekiti state between 2010 and 2014 is constitutional and not in doubt.

In his ruling, the judge over the matter, Justice Lekan Ogunmoye, said the present state governor, Ayodele Fayose, has the powers to run the affairs of the state.

2019 Presidency: Fayose versus Buhari, who will you vote for? - on NAIJ.com

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Have you heard about the new best way to buy airtime and data in Nigeria?

Have you heard about the new best way to buy airtime and data in Nigeria?

Have you heard about the new best way to buy airtime and data in Nigeria?
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel