PDP reacts to approval of $1bn to fight Boko Haram in northeast

PDP reacts to approval of $1bn to fight Boko Haram in northeast

- The Peoples Democratic Party reacts to the $1 billion approved by the All Progressives Congress (APC) led government for the fight against the Boko Haram

- The PDP says the federal government is trying to avoid the direct constitutional appropriation channel for funding of items

- The opposition urges the National Assembly to interrogate this proposed disbursement

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Friday, December 15, said that the $1 billion approved by Nigerian governors for the fight against the Boko Haram is questionable, Daily Trust reports.

NAIJ.com gathered that the PDP in a statement by its national publicity secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan described the approval for the release of $1bn as curious and alarming.

According to Vanguard, the opposition party wondered why the APC-led government had to recourse to the National Economic Council (NEC), "avoiding the direct constitutional appropriation channel of the National Assembly for funding of items already provided for in the federal budget."

READ ALSO: Military court sentences soldier to death as others bag jail terms

The party said the government has something it was hiding, adding that "the federal government must be held accountable and stopped from any move to fritter away our national savings."

Read the full statement below:

"The PDP supports the fight against insurgency. We hold our officers and men confronting the terrorists and securing our territorial integrity in high esteem, but we are concerned about the manipulative tendencies connected with the approvals as well as the veracity of claimed purpose of the fund.

"Nigerians would recall that the APC-led federal government had claimed that it has since defeated the insurgents. If it would take a billion dollar from a nation's savings to kill what they long claimed dead, then we challenge APC government to come clean and tell Nigerians the whole truth.

"The era of lies and propaganda is long gone and Nigerians now know the truth. The federal government must be held accountable and stopped from any move to fritter away our national savings.

"We therefore call on the National Assembly to interrogate this proposed disbursement and subject it to a thorough but rapid interrogation.

"By accepting the $1bn for fighting insurgency, the APC-led federal government has admitted that it lied when it announced that it has defeated the insurgents. They should therefore apologize to Nigerians for giving them a false sense of security, resulting in their vulnerability to attacks by terrorists."

“The PDP recalled that the three points upon which APC hinged their promise were security, corruption and economy and it is apparent that they have failed in all.

“On the economy, they have taken us into recession; on security, Boko Haram is still ravaging our people; on the corruption, the APC Government has only embarked on witch hunt of the opposition while enmeshed in monumental corruption thriving unabated right inside the engine of its administration.”

“The PDP vowed to ensure the APC does not continue to play with the intelligence of Nigerians, who are now only waiting for 2019 to consign them into the dustbin of history.”

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

NAIJ.com previously reported that Nigerian governors from the 36 states of the federation approved the withdrawal of $1 billion from the excess crude account by the federal government.

The money is to be used in the ongoing fight against Boko Haram insurgents in the northeast part of the country.

Godwin Obaseki, the Edo state governor made this known while briefing State House correspondents after the meeting of the National Economic Council (NEC) which was held inside the council chamber of the presidential villa Abuja.

Nigerians ask President Buhari for special Christmas Gifts on NAIJ.com TV.

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Read the number of additional teachers Kaduna state promises to recruit soonest

Read the number of additional teachers Kaduna state promises to recruit soonest

13,665 additional teachers to be recruited in Kaduna - Commissioner
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel