- A fire which broke out after a candle was lit in an apartment has led to the death of a 5-month-old baby in a Bariga, Lagos
- The quick thinking of neighbours saved two other children, but they were unable to rescue the baby
- Aggrieved youths in the area lunged out at fire service officials who reportedly arrived the scene hours after they were alerted about the incident
A 5-month-old baby has been burnt beyond recognition when a fire broke out at No. 6, Soyinka street, Bariga in Shomolu local government area of Lagos state, Guardian reports.
The incident occurred on Tuesday night, February 13, and also left two other children critically injured and properties worth millions of naira destroyed.
NAIJ.com gathers that the fire began at about 11:20pm from a candlelight which had been lit by a tenant in the one-storey building.
The inferno immediately spread to other parts of the building and neighbours struggled to put it out.
The quick-thinking neighbours were able to rescue two children trapped in the building, but were unable to save the baby.
An eye-witness who spoke on the condition of anonymity stated that the casualty figure would have been higher if the neighbours did not intervene quickly.
She stated: “I was outside when the fire started. It was the joint effort of we the tenants and the residents that enabled us to quench the fire.
“It was a tough battle that lasted for almost four hours all through the night. However, we were able to rescue two children; but unfortunately, a baby was killed in the fire."
The mother of the deceased toddler was reportedly uncontrollable and wailed profusely after her baby got killed.
Angry youths in the area also attacked the fire service vehicle after it arrived hours after it was alerted to the situation.
They were seen hurling stones at the bus and nearly injured some of the officials who were forced to retreat in order not to get hurt.
An aggrieved youth stated: “We called them immediately the fire started. They told us they were on their way. An hour later, we called them again; they said they were filling their tank with water.
“The third time we called them, they told us they were stuck in traffic. Why then should they come now that the situation had been put under control? Do they want to steal our achievement?”
In a related development, NAIJ.com previously reported that at least two children were killed in a fire incident at one internally displaced persons (IDPs) camp in Borno state.
The incident, which also cost at least 400 families their homes, occurred in a camp at Jere local government area of the state, few kilometres from Maiduguri, the state capital.
The flame was said to spread quickly because the tents were erected with dried stalks, which was highly flammable. Men of the state fire service later contained the fire, preventing it from spreading further.
House on the Rock in Abuja goes up in flames - on NAIJ.com TV: