Everybody in Nigeria knows Yahoo boys who they are, what they do, and what they are famous for. Some praise them, some distaste their activities. The only thing that stays unchanged is the fact that they have become extremely popular and that everyone speaks about how wealthy they are.
Who are these Yahoo boys in Nigeria?
From the point of view of the Nigerian laws, the so-called Yahoo boys are the ones who commit a crime that’s classified as the 419 fraud. This is a sort of swindle when a lawyer offers a significant amount of money for a minor up-front deal.
READ ALSO: Yahoo plus rituals: facts you should know
Since the beginning of the 2000’s, Nigerian people have received the access to the Internet. This has led to the appearance of these Yahoo boys and the growth of the Internet swindle. No matter how illegal, this tendency has quickly become extremely popular among young people in Nigeria. Strange as it is, the Yahoo boys have soon become respectable people in the society.
Why be a Yahoo boy?
You would ask, what’s the reason for being a Yahoo boy in Nigeria? Well, the point is that it allows them to earn plenty of money compared to honest working in truly no time. Even if you ask the Internet about the Yahoo boys, you will see that young people are searching for guidelines to become one of these swindlers.
Young people keep on repeating characteristic sayings that are the property of these Yahoo scammers. Young people are asking for a piece of advice on how to grab the money quickly and easily, just like the Yahoo guys. What’s more, women tend to fall for them, their money and the atmosphere of mystery and romance that surrounds their activities.
The Internet swindle allows purchasing expensive cars, bling, clothes, and even houses. For hundreds or even thousands of people, this sort of online swindle has become the only source of income and the only way to make ends meet.
The brightest Yahoo boy quotes
It has already been said above that the Yahoo boys have their own sayings that are characteristic for their circle. These sayings are one of the means that help to detect them among your relations. Give attention to your friends in case you hear them say something like
- Get rich or die
Or something like
- I would rather meet papa God than go broke
These are phrases that show how concentrated they are on the incomes and the ways to collect them. Indeed, the wealth is the only focus they have.
The other typical Yahoo boys’ quotes involve the following statements:
- Work hard for the money. If it requires no sleeping at night, stay awake all night long
- Even if you complete a school and find a job, you will never get enough the country we all live in. I could make much more from one transfer.
- If you get a job, what do you have? You are promoted and you keep on suffering until the next one. It’s not the life I want to have so I choose a better way.
- Sometimes you just can’t make all of it on your own and you need to involve some jazz (the slang word for “voodoo practices”). Some guys just have special bracelets while others bring animals or sleep in the baba’s house.
- Those who do the g-plus (the slang word for the mixture of a fraud and voodoo practices) know they are earning the bloody money.
- Everybody who does it knows that it’s a crime, guy. What then? Everyone in this country is a criminal under a disguise.
- If you have a legal job, you come home from it and you need to do even more to provide your living. The only thing that cheers you up is that your hands are clean.
- Do you know many Yahoo boys who have N38 million?
- I love it because I am my only boss. I don’t report to anybody. I can work when I want and sleep when I want.
- Everyone around you is maga (a humiliating term used to determine the foreigners deceived by the Yahoo boys). Don’t worry, they still exist. Even you are a maga. If I tell you that I have some item sold at a lower price, for only N500,000, you will say, oh my gosh, I want it! I sell you something that’s worth N100,000 and here you are! We don’t rob old white guys only.
- Yahoo boys are scamming everything they can see around them. These are companies, banks, and every person who’s ready to part with money.
- People usually think that all Yahoo boys are millionaires. It’s not true. Some of them just can’t make ends meet.
- Some of the boys are messing with jazz. They have a special amulet given to them by the baba and they have it in their gang to boost their success. If you want to join them, you need to swear a special oath of loyalty.
- This country, where we live, is full of hypocrisy. People curse Yahoo boys when they talk about them but when Yahoo boys give them money, these fake ones don’t refuse to take it.
- If not for the Yahoo boys, a good half of cinemas, cafes, and clubs would go broke and close down. We spend a great deal of money there. We help people. Yes, we do a crime. I know it but nobody is a saint.
- All this hustle around the Yahoo boys is sometimes quite hard. While working, I’m never resting, I’m always alert. When police officers see you looking better than other people in the street, they consider you a Yahoo boy at once.
- When I have a family, I want to turn legit. I want to invest my money and live honestly. This is not a kind of life for a family.
Well, these were quite bright Yahoo boy quotes collected from real people. They depict the lifestyle the Yahoo boys have chosen for themselves and the way of earning money they are practicing.
It’s hard to say whether they are completely wrong in their desire to make more money and provide a good living for themselves and their future families. Still, it’s a fact that they are committing a crime and there are no excuses for this.
If you are attentive enough, you are able to detect the prospective or active Yahoo boys among your relations. Then, of course, it’s about having a serious talk with this friend and trying to turn them on a right path.