- Two Boko Haram members identified as, Ibrahim Ahmed and Sani Argungu, have been discharged by a Federal High Court in Abuja for lack of diligent prosecution
- The defendants who have been in detention since 2012 and 2013 were arraigned for alleged ties with Boko Haram
- Justice Binta Nyako added that the defendants, would be monitored
A Federal High Court in Abuja, on Wednesday, April 11, discharged two persons, Ibrahim Ahmed and Sani Argungu, arraigned for alleged ties with Boko Haram, for lack of diligent prosecution.
Discharging the defendants, Justice Binta Nyako noted that Ahmed had been in detention since 2013 while Argungu had been detained since 2012 and the prosecution had yet to call its witnesses.
“The defendants have been in custody with no trial because the prosecution cannot bring its witnesses to court. So, I discharge the defendants and the suit is hereby struck out,” she said.
Nyako, however, said that whenever the prosecution was able to get its witnesses to attend court, the defendants could be re-arraigned.
The judge added that the defendants, although discharged, would be monitored and warned them not to associate with any person of questionable character.
Ibrahim, who said in his statement that he was a security guard at the Government House, Sokoto, was alleged to have been responsible for giving passage to Boko Haram members.
Earlier, NAIJ.com reported that troops of the Nigerian military in collaboration with their Cameroonian colleagues killed 35 Boko Haram members, Vanguard reports.
The terrorists were killed during the Operation Deep Punch established by the army to eradicate Boko Haram members from the northeast, the Lake Chad Basin and Sambisa forest.
Senior operatives of the Operation Lafiya Doyle said troops launched an attack on the terrorists in the enclaves Kusha-Kucha, Surdewala, Alkanerik, Magdewerne and Mayen villages, all situated along the Nigerian - Cameroonian border.
Survivors of Boko Haram - on NAIJ.com TV.