- Bishop Mathew Kukah has said that the northerners would still vote for President Buhari in 2019
- He said he had nothing against the president contrary to people's perceptions
- President Buhari had on Monday, April 9, declared intention to seek re-election in 2019
Nigerian prominent Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Bishop Matthew Kukah, has said that the northerners would still vote for President Muhammadu Buhari during the 2019 general elections.
The Punch reports that the Bishop said that had anything against the president as being viewed by many Nigerians.
NAIJ.com gathered that Kukah in an interview with the Punch said that he is not opposed to President Muhammadu Buhari-led government.
He said: "Vehemently opposed to Buhari? Where did you get this from? I think you were sold this dummy in the heydays of ecs.tasy, frenzy and euphoria of the Buhariphilia, who jumped out of every corner of Nigeria believing that their redemption was at hand. Sadly, today, a good chunk has since apostacised.
"I never doubted the sincerity of the President’s intention to fight corruption. However, no matter how much you hate leprosy, you cannot cure leprosy by just giving Panadol to the victim.
He, however, said that his worries about the current administration were in three folds.
"My fears were threefold and based on experience. First, no matter the goodness, holiness or devotion of any human being, wait until he or she has power entrusted to them and see what they become. So, even in the most optimistic of situations, set goals and expectations and let the person prove himself or herself.
"Secondly, what Buhari kept saying about corruption did not seem to be the result of some deep reflections. His claims and strategies had never been interrogated. And finally, I insisted that national cohesion was far more urgent a task than just saying ‘we are here to fight corruption’.
"That informed what you may have referred to as vehement opposition. I was simply warning against too much blind trust and now we are where we are today", he said.
He lauded Buhari on the rescue of Dapchi girls, adding that calling for Buhari's apology on their abduction was uncalled for.
He said: "Why should he apologise? I believe this government has done its best and this is about all it can offer. So, they should be judged not on speculation but on the reality.
"The issue of an apology does not arise because what we are seeing is the best that is on the table and this is the best team for the job in their view.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday, April 9, in Abuja declared his intention to seek re-election in 2019. Malam Garba Shehu, the president’s senior special assistant on media and Publicity confirmed this development in a statement in Abuja on Monday.
Buhari to Contest for Presidency in 2019! - on NAIJ.com TV