- Governor Wike has accused the federal government of sponsoring thugs to invade the Senate
- Wike said the federal governmnet is plotting to overthrow the leadership of the Senate, hence, the attack
Governor Nyesom Ezenwo Wike of Rivers state has accused the federal government of Nigeria of sponsoring thugs to invade the National Assembly and steal the mace in a bid to overthrow the leadership of the Senate.
Wike, who made the statement during the 105th annual convention of the Nigerian Baptist Convention at Ndele, Emohua local government area of the state on Sunday, April 22, said the federal government has a new plan against him.
He said the federal government is plotting to have someone programmed by the security agencies to claim that he received $3 million from the Rivers state governor, This Day reports.
He said: “They plotted to overthrow the leadership of the Senate, but they failed. What you saw was a horrible design to remove the Senate leadership. If you know the security architecture of the National Assembly, nobody can go in easily and leave easily without the gates being shut. These people entered and left unchallenged.
“When the Senate gave the police a 24-hour ultimatum to find the mace, our Nigerian Police became so efficient that they traced the mace to where it was left under the bridge.”
Wike urged Nigerians to vote against the present adiministration during the 2019 presidential election.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
He said: “We are not looking for people who will give us excuses. Since they cannot work, they should allow those with capacity to take over in 2019."
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the names of five persons who reportedly entered the Senate to steal the mace which is the symbol of authority of the Red Chamber have emerged.
The names emerged on Wednesday, April 18, hours after they were arrested by the FCT Police Command.
EXCLUSIVE: Be patient with President Buhari, Femi Adesina tells Nigerians - on NAIJ.com TV: