- British boxer Anthony Joshua has been offered a whopping $50 million by Deontay Wilder for a unification bout this year
- The 32-year-old American boxer currently holds the heavyweight title and has called the British boxer out to a fight sometime in 2018
- Both fighters are yet to lose any of their last bouts - Wilder has won 40 of his last 40 fights, while Joshua boasts of 21 victories in the last 21 fights
American professional boxer Deontay Wilder has offered to dash Anthony Joshua a minimum of $50 million to draw him into an undisputed heavyweight championship before the end of this year. organise
The heavyweight world title-holder was said to have emailed Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom to tell him about his bid.
According to the 32-year-old’s managers, Shelly Finkel and Al Haymon as well as his trainer, Jay Deas, they disclosed the $50 million offer is against the 50 percent of the event revenue, meaning Joshua would make no less than that figure no matter how much the fight generated.
However, Finkel claims the British boxer will earn more than the proposed amount should the fight generate more than a $100 million at the end of the bout, but if it lost money, the Wilder side would be on the hook to pay Joshua.
"It's a giant number," Finkel said. "But it's also a giant fight."
Finkel added that the proposal to get the Briton to a fight will include the pay-per-view in the United States; all of Joshua's title fights have been on pay-per-view in the United Kingdom, his home country.
All of these are to ensure Wilder dictates the location of the fight, but they would look to do it in the United States, probably Las Vegas.
He also said there would be no rematch clause and the fight would have to be next for each man. As for the timing of the bout, Finkel said it would take place between September and the end of the year.
"It has to be the next fight for each of them," he said. "No rematch clause, and it's for all the belts. We asked for them to send us an acceptance [by the end of Thursday].
"Joshua [previously] asked for $50 million against 50 percent, and we gave it to them. They probably don't believe it's this big of an offer, but it's an unbelievable offer.
"I hope they accept. Deontay is thrilled and believes Joshua will take it."
The above offer was proposed as a counter-offer to the initial one Hearn put forth in recent weeks, which called for Wilder to be paid a flat $12.5 million fee with no percentage of the event.
"Anthony, get your man Eddie and [his father] Barry Hearn to check their email. I got something special for you," Wilder said. "By the way, all the money's in the bag. So I expect you'll be a man of your word."
At that point, Wilder's video cut to video of an interview Joshua gave earlier this month to Sky Sports, the broadcast outlet he has a deal with in the U.K., in which he said of a possible Wilder fight,
"I'll take $50 million up front. If that's the case, Wilder's team, bring me $50 million up front, and we'll take the fight."
Wilder concluded his 30-second video by saying "I'll see you soon then" as he salutes.
Meanwhile, Anthony Joshua has said that he will be ready to take the fight only if Wilder and his team show him the money upfront according to his promoter Eddie Hearn.
The American boxer had posted a short video on Twitter showing WBO, IBF and WBA titles holder Joshua, 28, saying he would accept the fight for $50m.
However, Hearn, who confirmed Wilder himself sent the offer via email said he must be convinced the money "exists" before agreeing to the bout "in either London or Vegas".
The promoter also believes the move was a PR initiated move but they are "definitely interested."
He added that he would not rule out allowing Wilder's team to pick the fight's date and location as both fighters and their advisers are scheduled to meet on Friday.
Previously Wilder, 32, said "all the money is in the bag so I expect you will be a man of your word".
Wilder's manager Shelly Finkel confirmed to ESPN that an offer had been made.
Finkel also said the offer contains no rematch clause and that it would be the next fight for each boxer, taking place between September and December at a venue of Wilder's choosing.
"It's a great move from Deontay. It makes everyone say: 'You've got to take the fight now'," added Hearn.
"We really want to do the fight in the UK because we've built something special there.
"But if there's substantial money to do it elsewhere we will definitely look at it. In my opinion it's got to be in the UK or possibly Vegas.
"It's not a case of we sign the contract and they go and raise the money. If you've got it - show us it and then we can talk.
"I spoke to AJ - he knows the situation but we want to know if it's real. We want to see the money and know were it is.
"There's a real strong chance this fight could happen - we're not looking to be difficult."
Hearn said earlier this month that the WBA has ordered the Briton to enter into negotiations with mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin.
Wilder added: "Tell Eddie Hearn to let you personally check his email this time. By the way, I sent your manager Rob McCracken the email as well.
"I am looking forward to our meeting in the ring."
Unbeaten Joshua added the WBO belt to his collection after a unanimous points win over Joseph Parker in Cardiff on 1 April, while Wilder beat Luis Ortiz in his last fight in March.
16-year-old American-born Nigerian tennis player is proud of her roots - on NAIJ.com.TV