Do you love doughnuts? These delicious snacks are popular all over the world. Nigerians also love making doughnut dinners or have this snack for breakfasts and we are happy to share the best Nigerian doughnut recipe with you. Learn how to make doughnut and enjoy exceptional and extremely tasty snacks with your friends and family!
While regular doughnut might taste like Nigerian puff puff (another popular snack), they are still worth cooking. Firstly, doughnut has its own recognizable shape. Secondly, you can fill your best Nigerian doughnuts with jam and make them taste incredible. At last but not least, the cute delicious rings made of special dough are loved by children and adults all across the country.
Nigerian doughnut recipe
You will need to use regular products such as milk, flour, yeast, etc. However, you are always welcome to add marmalade or jam as snacks filling to make it taste whatever you want. You can fill them with delicious apple jam, strawberry jam, peach jam or any other fruit jam you can think of.
Those of you who do not want any jam in their doughnut snacks can simply omit this ingredient and add glaze instead. Alternatively, you can leave your doughnuts the way they are.
Since we are sharing the Nigerian doughnut recipe with you, it is best to use the following ingredients in your kitchen:
- Flour (regular) – 0.5 kilogram
- Yeast (dry) – 2.5 tablespoons
- Butter – 25 grams
- Eggs – 1 piece
- Milk – 180 milliliters
- Sugar – 50 grams
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 5 tablespoons
- Oil - enough to cover the pan up to 3 inches deep
- Bowls – 1 small and 1 large
- Pan - a deep one
You are able to cook approximately 14-20 best Nigerian doughnut pieces using the amounts described above.
P.S. If you don’t have dry yeast and wish to use fresh instead you will need 15 grams of it. If you don’t have regular milk and prefer adding powdered one instead, you will need to use 2 tablespoons of the milk powder and 180 milliliters of water where you’ll have to dissolve the powder.
READ ALSO: How to make puff puff with pepper and onions
How to make doughnut snacks
Now let’s follow our recipe for doughnut, and you will understand how to make Nigerian doughnut for your family:
- Step 1. Take the smaller bowl. You should add these ingredients – warm water, dry yeast, and some flour (it is enough to add 3 tablespoons for now). You need to mix them and then put the bowl into a warm place. Your mixture needs to rise, so don’t worry about bubbles that will appear in it.
- Step 2. Take the bigger bowl. Now you can place the rest of flour inside and mix it with salt and sugar.
- Step 3. Heat milk and make it warm. Pour it inside the bigger bowl from the second step. Add other ingredients – butter (melt it before adding) and egg. Also, add the mixture from the first step. You will have to mix everything and prepare the dough. It should be sticky at first. Do not worry about it. Just make a big dough ball and place the bowl aside. You should give your dough approximately 60 minutes to rise and double in size.
- Step 4. Add some flour on your table surface. Put the dough on top of it and flatten it but not completely flat. Some people like to use a rolling pin for this purpose. However, your doughnut snacks would be softer if you do everything with your own hands.
- Step 5. It is time for cutting your doughnut dough into cute circles. You can use a special cutter or simply turn a drinking glass upside down and cut with its neck.
- Step 6. Those of you who enjoy big Nigerian doughnut circles can leave the dough (already pre-cut) for approximately 20-25 minutes. It would risee more, and your snacks will be larger.
- Step 7. If you are ok with smaller doughnuts, you can skip the sixth step and begin to fry your meal. Use a deep pan. Pour enough oil inside and pre-heat it. The oil should be boiling when you add your doughnut circles inside. You can fry each side of your snack for approximately a minute.
- Step 8. Use paper towel or napkins to get rid of extra oil from your best Nigerian doughnuts.
- Step 9. When your snack is ready, you can make any topping. It could be simple sugar, glaze or jam.
Have a delicious dinner or breakfast with your family. Share this best Nigerian doughnut recipe with your friends!
READ ALSO: How to make puff puff with milk