- President Buhari expressed outrage over the killings by bandits in the country
- According to him, some sinister persons were perpetrating the violence for selfish reasons
- He said security remains a priority of his administration
President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the killings in the country particularly those committed by bandits saying they are being perpetrated by people with sinister plot and selfish reasons.
The president’s position was contained in a statement issued by Garba Shehu, the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, on Monday, May 7.
In tackling the issue of insecurity, the president approved the establishment of a new battalion of the army and a new police command in Kaduna state.
President Buhari said security remains a priority in his administration and that he would do everything to tackle its problems. He also extended his condolences to the families of victims promising that his government would not abandon them.
Read the statement below:
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the establishment of a new Battalion of the Nigerian Army, as well as a new Police Area Command, in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State, as part of measures to scale up the security response to the banditry affecting the area.
The president strongly condemns the latest massacre of innocent Nigerians in the area. According to him, "I am deeply outraged by this unwarranted, unprovoked and reckless destruction of lives by bandits who belong to the lowest level of civilization. I feel the pains and devastation of the families of the victims, and this administration will do everything possible to ensure we defeat these enemies of humanity."
The new Army Battalion and the Police Area Command are the latest in a series of law enforcement measures to ensure more effective protection of lives and property, in and around Benue, Kaduna, Taraba, Zamfara and Nasarawa States.
Last week the Nigerian Air Force took delivery of two new helicopter gunships, for deployment to parts of the country affected by banditry. A Quick Response Wing has also been established by the Nigerian Air Force in Taraba State, while a Joint Military Intervention Force is fully on ground in Benue.
President Buhari assures that security remains a priority for his government and his administration will not tolerate the persistent killing of innocent people in order to set Nigerians against one another.
According to the president, "these persistent killings are not spontaneous; there are subterranean forces with a sinister agenda to instigate war in the country for selfish purposes."
He notes that, "Although unconventional war is particularly complicated, our security forces are making rigorous efforts to better understand these enemies with a view to decisively checkmating their evil attacks.”
President Buhari extends his condolences to the families of the victims, the government and the people of Kaduna State over this unfortunate tragedy, assuring that his government will never abandon them to their fate.
Meanwhile, as a way to curb and completely end the activities of bandits in Birnin-Gwari a recently attacked region in Kaduna, Governor El-Rufai said that the Nigerian Army will station a permanent army battalion around the area.
Samuel Aruwan, spokesperson to Governor El-Rufai, said in a statement that the state government is bothered about the rampant killings and is deliberating with the federal government to deal with the issue.
Southern Kaduna killings: part 1 - On NAIJ.com TV