N’Assembly invasion: Omo-Agege risks indefinite suspension

N’Assembly invasion: Omo-Agege risks indefinite suspension

- The Senate may impose fresh sanctions on the suspended senator Ovie Omo-Agege over NASS invasion

- Some thugs had recently stormed the Senate and stolen the mace, a symbol of authority in the parliament

- Bukola Saraki, the Senate president, on Tuesday, May 8, said that the report of the investigation on NASS invasion was ready

Two weeks after thugs invaded the Senate and snatched the mace, the symbol of authority in the parliament, indications have emerged that the upper legislative chamber may be plotting to impose fresh sanctions on suspended Senator Ovie Omo-Agege.

The Sun reports that this is coming barely 24 hours after the Senate president Bukola Saraki met with President Muhammadu Buhari over the invasion and other sundry issues affecting the working relationship between the legislature and the executive.

READ ALSO: Minister canvasses one year re-schooling for Nigerian fresh graduates

NAIJ.com gathered that the Red Chamber was invaded on April 18 by armed thugs during plenary.

Omo-Agege, who was suspended a week before the invasion was fingered to have led the “mace-snatchers” into the building, allegation he has vehemently denied.

Following the incidence, an adhoc committee was set up by the Senate leadership on April 25.

The panel headed by deputy leader, Bala Ibn Na’Allah, was given two weeks to turn in its report to enable the Senate take a further action.

Saraki announced on Tuesday, May 8, that the adhoc committee had concluded its exercise and that the report had been forwarded to the Senate committee on ethics, privileges and public petitions, chaired by Samuel Anyanwu.

"The committee is to review the report and come up with recommendations", Saraki said.

The Sun reported that part of the recommendations will be an indefinite suspension of Omo-Agege over his alleged role in the invasion.

It was also learnt that security agents which have been frequently accused of letting down their guards when the armed thugs invaded, may also be indicted by the Senate when it considers the report.

Also, the committee is expected to come up with a blueprint on the reordering of the security architecture of the Senate, vis-à-vis, the National Assembly.

Last week, masked operatives of the Department of State Security Service (DSS), in conjunction with special forces drafted from the Force headquarters took over the internal security of the Senate wing of the National Assembly.

Security was also beefed up within and around the vicinity, specifically the entry and exit points of the National Assembly, while stop and check operation of vehicles was also introduced.

Meanwhile, Saraki has inaugurated an expanded joint committee of the two chambers to investigate the invasion.

According to Saraki, the major assignment of the committee is to come up with recommendations on how to enhance the security of the National Assembly.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

The committee is also to unravel mastermind of the invasion and recommend appropriate sanctions. Na’Allah is the chairman of the joint committee.

Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that Senate president Bukola Saraki has said the report of the panel that investigated the invasion of the Senate was ready.

Dino Melaye and 2019 Criminal Conspiracy | - on NAIJ.com TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
FG moves against Senator Adeleke over alleged examination malpractice

FG charges Senator Adeleke for alleged exam malpractice

FG moves against Senator Adeleke over alleged examination malpractice
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel