- The minister of works, power and housing, Babatunde Fashola, rejected some projects in Kebbi
- He stated that the federal government will not accept the projects until they are done in compliance with the contractual agreement
- One of the contractors promised to effect the corrections noted by the minister and deliver the projects on time
The minister of works, power and housing, Babatunde Fashola, on Tuesday, May 8, warned that the federal government would not accept the 74 housing units and Jega-Yauri road project due to shoddy job.
Fashola who inspected the two projects in Birnin Kebbi, the capital of Kebbi state, told the contractors to undertake the project within specification otherwise the government would not accept them, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
He observed that most of the roofing of the bungalows in the Federal Housing Estate and road culverts were not done properly.
“The roofing is not standard and road culverts are not properly done. They have to reconstruct some of these buildings because we cannot accept them; their roofs are not well constructed,” he said.
Similarly, Fashola told the contractor handling the Jega-Yauri road that he was not satisfied with the narrow culverts constructed along the road.
“I am not satisfied with these culverts, you have to reconstruct them.
“The government has overcome the challenges of funding but is now faced with the challenge of getting the project done in compliance with the contractual agreement.
“With all clear intention, we cannot do the work, we have to entrust the contractors to do the work for us, hence they should do it according to the agreement,” the minister said.
Walid AbouJaoude of TRIACTA Nigeria Limited handling the road project pledged that the company would do all the necessary corrections and complete the project on time.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
He said that the company had since completed the first phase of the 186 kilometre road project, which began from Sokoto, through Jega, Yauri and would terminate at Birnin Kebbi.
NAIJ.com previously reported that Fashola announced the approval of N64.108 billion for additional works on section one of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by the Federal Executive Council.
The additional work on the project is about 43.6 kilometers including the construction of pedestrian bridges and toll plazas as well as modification of the quality of bitumen.
The minister noted that the approval was aimed at accommodating the changing nature of the road.
Please, don't destroy our houses - Nigerians cry out - On NAIJ.com TV