- SERAP in a petition dated Friday, May 11, to the UN, lamented the federal government’s habit of picking and choosing court judgments to obey
-The group called on President Buhari to end his persistent disobedience of court rulings and orders
- SERAP maintained that it has got two different judgments against the government but which President Buhari has continued to disobey
The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has petitioned Diego García-Sayán, UN Special Rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers requesting him to use his good offices to prevail on the government of President Muhammadu Buhari to end persistent disobedience of court rulings and orders.
According to a letter signed by SERAP’s deputy director, Timothy Adewale and which was on Friday, May 11 addressed to the UN special Rapporteur on the Independence of Judges and Lawyers, Diego García-Sayán.
Punch reports that the group also said despite a court judgment, a former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.), was still being detained in prison custody.
It said: “Other court orders that the government continue to disobey include: the ECOWAS court judgment ordering the Nigerian authorities to provide free and quality education to all Nigerian children without discrimination; the rulings by the Nigerian courts ordering the authorities to establish education banks to assist poor students to obtain loans to pursue tertiary education and the restoration of people’s bank to give loans without collateral to underprivileged citizens.
“At least two of the court rulings SERAP recently obtained from the Federal High Court have been disobeyed by the Nigerian authorities. The first involves a case with suit number FHC/IKJ/CS/248/2011 delivered in March 2016 where Justice Mohammed Idris ordered the Federal Government of Nigeria to widely publish details on the spending of recovered stolen funds by successive governments since the return of democracy in 1999.
“The details ordered to be published by the court include: detailed information on the total amount of recovered stolen public assets that have so far been recovered by Nigeria; the amount that has been spent from the recovered stolen public assets and the objects of such spending; and the details of projects on which recovered stolen public assets were spent.
“The second court judgment involves a case with suit number FHC/CS/964/2016 delivered in July 2017 where Justice Hadiza Rabiu Shagari ordered the government to tell Nigerians the circumstances under which allegedly recovered stolen assets were recovered, as well as the exact amount of funds recovered from each public official.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
“However, the Nigerian authorities would seem to have only partially obeyed the court orders in this case. The authorities are not known to have appealed any of these court judgments and rulings.
“Under both the Nigerian constitution and international human rights treaties to which Nigeria is a state party including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, everyone is entitled to the right to an effective remedy, and to seek justice in courts in cases of violations of human rights.”
SERAP warned that continued disobedience of court judgments and rulings would undermine “the crucial role of the judiciary in combating corruption and obstruct access to justice, contrary to international standards, including Article 11 of the UN Convention against Corruption to which Nigeria is a state party.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had reported that SERAP urged President Buhari to speak on the recovered $43.4m, N23m and £27,000 (N13bn) in order to clear the controversy surrounding the ownership of the funds.
The group, in a statement on Sunday April 16 by its Executive Director, Adetokunbo Mumuni, said heaven would not fall if the government unveiled the real owner of the recovered funds.
It also argued that government could not afford to keep the citizen speculating on the real owner of the funds, stressing that the new whistle-blower’s policy must be matched with transparency.
Nigerian youths reply to President Buhari over 'lazy' comment | NAIJ.com TV: