Here we have for you the list of fully accredited private medical schools in Nigeria. Find out the best schools where you can receive high quality education in this prestigious field. Read on to make the right choice of institution.
Medical schools are becoming more popular in Nigeria. The medicine degree is considered as prestigious, so students are more interested in medical courses. However, the cost of such medical education is more expensive than most of the other courses, and the admission is more competitive. Here we have the list of accredited private medical schools in Nigeria, all these schools are the parts of universities with a good reputation.
The list of private medical schools in Nigeria
College of medicine in Afe Babalola University
READ ALSO: Doctors housemanship salary in Nigeria
The institution is among top universities of Nigeria. The private university was opened in 2009. The College of Medicine and Health Sciences is known as one of the best private medical schools in the country. The college consists of such departments:
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Medicine and Surgery
- B.Sc Anatomy
- B.Sc Physiology
- MBBS (Medicine and Surgery)
- B.NSc (Nursing)
- B.MLS (Medical Laboratory Science)
- B. Sc (Human Nutrition & Dietetics)
All the programs have the accreditation of NUC and MLSCN.
The current session was approved by such respective regulatory bodies:
- Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria: Advisory Visit.
- National Universities Commission: MBBS (Pre-clinical) Accreditation Visit.
- National Universities Commission: Nursing (B.NSc) Accreditation Visit.Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria: MBBS (Pre-clinical) Accreditation Visit.
College of Medicine and Medical Sciences in Babcock University
This university has one of the first private medical schools in Nigeria. The College of Health and Medical Sciences consists of the following departments:
Department of Anatomy
- Degree Offered: B.Sc. (Hons) Anatomy
- Department of Physiology
- Degree Offered: B.Sc. (Hons) Physiology
Department of Biochemistry
- Degree Offered: B.Sc. (Hons) Biochemistry
Department of Nutrition & Dietetics
- Degree Offered: B Sc. (Hons) Nutrition and Dietetics
The courses gained the accreditation by Nursing and midwifery council of Nigeria (NMCN)
College of medicine and surgery in Bingham University
The institution has a College of Health Sciences, there are three programs offered in the college:
- B.Sc. Anatomy
- B.Sc. Physiology
The institution has a Bingham University Teaching Hospital that helps to improve practical skills of the students.
College of medicine, Bowen University
The institution is situated in Iwo in Osun State, Nigeria. The department of medicine at the university has the accreditation of Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria. The private medical college provides M.B.B.S. programme. The institution offers department of family medicine for postgraduate students. The department has full accreditation of National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria.
College of medicine and health science in Gregory University
The institution is situated in Uturu, Abia State in Nigeria. The private Christian University provides such programmes:
- MBBS Medicine & Surgery ( 6 years)
- B. Sc Human Anatomy (4 years)
- B. Sc Human Physiology (4 years)
- B. Sc Medical Biochemistry (4 years)
School of medicine at Igbinedion University, Okada (IUO)
One of the first private institution in Nigeria. It is located in Okada city, Edo state. Since 1999, the medical school of the university has produced over 1,500 medical doctors. The College of Health Sciences is the most popular department of the institution. The school provides such programmes and degrees:
- Anatomy - B.Sc.
- Basic medical science - B.Sc.
- Biochemistry - B.Sc.
- Medical laboratory science - BMLS
- Nursing science - B.NSc
- Physiology - B.Sc.
College of Medicine in Madonna University, Elele
The private Catholic university that started the work in 1999 in Okija, Anambra State. The college of medicine was established in 2001. There are such departments and faculties:
The faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Department of Anatomy
- Department of Physiology
- Department of Medical Biochemistry
Faculty of Medicine
- Department of Anatomical Pathology
- Department of Chemical Pathology
- Department of Haematology/Immunology
- Department of Medical Microbiology
- Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Department of Paediatrics
- Department of Pharmacology & Therapeutics
- Department of Community Medicine & Primary Health Care
- Department of Internal Medicine
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Radiography
The school of medicine works to provide students with a balanced foundation of a professional platform to prepare high educated medical doctors. The curriculum has three stages:
- The pre-medical stage (pure science-based)
- The pre-clinical stage (basic medical science courses)
- The clinical stage (the study of the nature of diseases)
READ ALSO: Delta State University courses offered