- North Korea allegedly canceled the planned summit with South Korea
- It also reportedly threateaned to cancel its highly publicised and anticipated summit with the US
- This is reportedly due to an American military exercise being carried in South Korea
North Korea reportedly announced it has canceled a high-level summit with South Korea and is threatening to cancel its meeting with the United States over American military drills with South Korea.
Fox News, citing Yonhap News, reported on Tuesday, May 15, North Korea claimed that the military drills were a rehearsal for a potential invasion of the country.
"This exercise targeting us, which is being carried out across South Korea, is a flagrant challenge to the Panmunjom Declaration and an intentional military provocation running counter to the positive political development on the Korean Peninsula," Fox News reports.
"The United States will also have to undertake careful deliberations about the fate of the planned North Korea-U.S. summit in light of this provocative military ruckus jointly conducted with the South Korean authorities."
A meeting between President Trump and North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un is also allegedly in jeopardy.
Trump announced last week that the "highly anticipated meeting" with Kim would take place in Singapore on June 12.
"The highly anticipated meeting between Kim Jong Un and myself will take place in Singapore on June 12th. We will both try to make it a very special moment for World Peace!" - Donald Trump
However, State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said during a Tuesday briefing that they had not received any "formal or even informal notification of anything," and are continuing to plan the summit.
Nauert said: "I will say that Kim Jong Un had said previously that he understands the need and the utility of the United States and the Republic of Korea continuing in its joint exercises. They're exercises that are legal, and they're planned well, well in advance.
"We have not heard anything from that government or the government of South Korea to indicate that we would not continue conducting these exercises or that we would not continue planning for our meeting between President Trump and Kim Jong Un next month."
She also added that the exercises are "certainly not provocative."
U.S. B-52 bombers, however, may not participate in a U.S.-based air drill, according to a Yonhap News report.
A statement from Press Secretary Sarah Sanders on Tuesday said the White House was "aware of the South Korean media report" and that the US "will look at what North Korea has said independently, and continue to coordinate closely with our allies."
NAIJ.com previously reported President Trump on Wednesday, May 9, announced that three nationals who were once held captives in North Korea, had been released.
President Trump wrote on his Twitter page: "I am pleased to inform you that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is in the air and on his way back from North Korea with the 3 wonderful gentlemen that everyone is looking so forward to meeting. They seem to be in good health".
Street Gist: Will Nigeria be a better place with Trump as president? | NAIJ.com TV