- Fernando Sanches releases his 23-man list for the World Cup
- Barcelona's Gomes and Semendo were not included in the squad
- Portugal will play mighty Spain, Iran, and Morocco in Group B
Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has been picked alongside 22 other players that will represent Portugal at the World Cup.
The 33-year-old will be leading the Selecao to the soccer fiesta slated for Russia next month and the Real talisman will be making his third appearance at the Mundial.
Former Manchester United winger Nani and Euro 2016 Young Player of the Year Renato Sanches were left out of the squad.
Barcelona's Andre Gomes, Ricardo Carvalho and Eder, who scored the title-winning goal against against France will not be at Russia.
Portuguese coach Fernando Sanches revealed he had to make a difficult decision to drop the players that won the Euros two years ago,.
"It hurts not to be able to include all the players who were with us in the European Championship," Santos said.
"All of them helped us write a brilliant page in the history of Portuguese football."
Portugal will also be without high flying Barcelona defender Nelson Semedo and Real Madrid loanee Fabio Coentrao who said he will not be fit enough to make the squad.
Sanches was quick to defend himself for the omission: "I have to make my decisions taking into consideration the players I believe will best fit the puzzle."
"I trust these players the same way I trusted the players who played at Euro 2016."
The team will begin preparations without Ronaldo, who will play the Champions League final for Madrid against Liverpool on May 26.
Portugal will play warm-up friendlies against Tunisia on May, 28, Belgium on June, 2, and, Algeria on June, 7.
The Selecao will play in Group B against Spain, Iran and Morocco when the tournament kicks off next month.
Here is the 23-man list that will represent Portugal at the World Cup.
Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Lyon), Beto (Goztepe), Rui Patricio (Sporting Lisbon).
Defenders: Bruno Alves (Rangers), Cedric Soares (Southampton), Jose Fonte (Dalian Yifang), Mario Rui (Napoli), Pepe (Besiktas), Raphael Guerreiro (Borussia Dortmund), Ricardo Pereira (Porto), Ruben Dias (Benfica)
Midfielders: Adrien Silva (Leicester), Bruno Fernandes (Sporting Lisbon), Joao Mario (West Ham), Joao Moutinho (Monaco), Manuel Fernandes (Lokomotiv), William Carvalho (Sporting Lisbon)
Forwards: Andre Silva (AC Milan), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Gelson Martins (Sporting Lisbon), Goncalo Guedes (Valencia), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas)
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had earlier reported that France coach Didier Dechamps released his 23-man list where Anthony Martial and Alexandre Lacazette were dropped.
Barcelona-Chelsea: Barcelona lucky to win - on NAIJ.com TV