Ebola case in DR Congo jumps to 14 - Health ministry reveals

Ebola case in DR Congo jumps to 14 - Health ministry reveals

- The Ebola case in the Democratic Republic of Congo has risen from three to 14

- This was confirmed by the health ministry in the Central African country

- According to the ministry, one person has been confirmed dead from the virus, but 25 people are suspected to have died from it

The health ministry in the Democratic Republic of Congo has confirmed that the Ebola case in the country has risen from three to 14.

The ministry said in a statement: “In total since the start of the epidemic, there have been 45 cases of hemorrhagic fever, including 10 suspected cases, 21 probable cases, and 14 confirmed cases."

The ministry said just one person had been confirmed dead from the virus, but 25 people are suspected to have died from it, NAN reports.

NAIJ.com notes that earlier Thursday, May 17, the ministry had only three confirmed cases, one of which – the first in a major urban area – had prompted an urgent World Health Organisation meeting for Friday, May 18, to decide what measures should be taken, including the possible declaration of a public health emergency.

READ ALSO: Trump asked me twice the difference between HIV and HPV - Bill Gates

Ebola is a highly infectious virus that can cause fever and bleeding. The death rate runs as high as 90%, but the lethal risk can be reduced significantly if patients are quickly isolated and if they receive fluids.

Earlier this week, more than 5,000 Ebola vaccines arrived in Congo as part of the UN’s efforts to stem the outbreak.

Similarly, the European Commission has released around 1.6 million euros (1.9 million dollars) to help tackle an Ebola outbreak in Congo, as well as organising flights to transport emergency staff and equipment to the affected areas.

Of that, 1.5 million euros will provide logistics support to the WHO and 130,000 euros will help the Congolese Red Cross perform life-saving interventions.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) on Tuesday May 15, urged airlines, especially those operating international and regional flights into the country, to be vigilant and screen their passengers properly to avoid carrying passengers with Ebola.

This guideline, which was contained in a circular with ref number NCAA/DG/AMS/Vol.1/196, dated 11th May 2018, became imperative after fresh Ebola outbreak was recorded in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Signs you need to go for an HIV/AIDS test ASAP - on NAIJ.com TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
For not being invited to a party, lady sets fire on the house where the celebration took place (photo)

For not being invited to a party, lady sets fire on the house where the celebration took place (photo)

For not being invited to a party, lady sets fire on the house where the celebration took place (photo)
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel