Breaking: I’m ready for probe, Obasanjo tells Buhari

Breaking: I’m ready for probe, Obasanjo tells Buhari

- Former president Olusegun Obasanjo has declared that he is ready to be probed by President Muhammadu Buhari led administration

- President Buhari had earlier today re-echoed the allegation that Obasanjo's administration wasted $16 billion on power project

- Obasanjo in his reaction also claimed that he had already detailed the issues concerning the said money in his book, My Watch

Nigeria's former president, Olusegun Obasanjo has replied President Muhammadu Buhari over allegation that $16 billion was wasted on power project during his administration.

President Buhari had made reference to the allegation while receiving a delegation of Buhari Support Organisation (BSO) at the presidential villa on Tuesday, May 22.

READ ALSO: Saraki vs IGP Idris: It is surely politics - Senate leader speaks after meeting with President Buhari

“One of the former heads of state between that time was bragging that he spent more than 15 billion American dollars, not Naira, on power. Where is the power? Where is the power? And now we have to pay the debts,” the president had said.

In a statement issued on his behalf by Kehinde Akinyemi, his spokesman, Obasanjo dismissed Buhari's claim and offered his own side of the story.

“It has come to the attention of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo that a statement credited to President Muhammadu Buhari, apparently without correct information and based on ignorance, suggested that $16 billion was wasted on power projects by “a former president”.

“We believe that the president was re-echoing the unsubstantiated allegation against Chief Obasanjo by his own predecessor but one.

“While it is doubtful that a president with proper understanding of the issue would utter such, it should be pointed out that records from the National Assembly had exculpated president Obasanjo of any wrong-doing concerning the power sector and has proved the allegations as false.

“For the records, Chief Obasanjo has addressed the issues of the power sector and the allegations against him on many occasions and platforms, including in his widely publicised book, My Watch in which he exhaustively stated the facts and reproduced various reports by both the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), which conducted a clinical investigation into the allegations against Chief Obasanjo, and the ad-hoc committee on the review of the recommendations in the report of the committee on power on the investigation into how the huge sums of money was spent on power generation, transmission and distribution between June 1999 and May 2007 without commensurate result.

“We recommend that the president and his co-travellers should read Chapters 41, 42, 43 and 47 of My Watch for Chief Obasanjo’s insights and perspectives on the power sector and indeed what transpired when the allegation of $16 billion on power projects was previously made. If he cannot read the three-volume book, he should detail his aides to do so and summarise the chapters in a language that he will easily understand.

“In the same statement credited to the president, it was alleged that there was some bragging by Chief Obasanjo over $16 billion spent on power. To inform the uninformed, the so-called $16 billion power expenditure was an allegation against Chief Obasanjo’s administration and not his claim.

“The president also queried where the power generated is. The answer is simple: The power is in the seven National Integrated Power Projects and eighteen gas turbines that Chief Obasanjo’s successor who originally made the allegation of $16 billion did not clear from the ports for over a year and the civil works done on the sites.

“Chief Obasanjo challenges, and in fact encourages, anybody to set up another enquiry if in doubt and unsatisfied with the EFCC report and that of the Hon. Aminu Tambuwal-led ad-hoc committee.”

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Recall that NAIJ.com had earlier reported that President Muhammadu Buhari asked about the $16 billion (N5.76 trillion) power project authorised by former president Olusegun Obasanjo.

Speaking while receiving members of the Buhari Support Group, led by the comptroller general of the Nigerian Customs Service, Ahmed Ali, the president said he wondered where the power project is since its launch.

Consider rest - Obasanjo to Buhari - on NAIJ.com TV:

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Banire’s group claims victory for adoption of direct primaries by Lagos APC

Banire’s group claims victory for adoption of direct primaries by Lagos APC

Banire’s group hails Tinubu over Lagos APC’s adoption of direct primaries
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel