Trial of ex-NIMASA chief Akpobolokemi stalled by absence of convicted SAN

Trial of ex-NIMASA chief Akpobolokemi stalled by absence of convicted SAN

- The trial of ex-NIMASA D-G, Patrick Akpobolokemi, has been stalled following the absence of his convicted counsel Joseph Nwobike (SAN)

- Nwobike was convicted of criminal charges by Justice Raliat Adebiyi for attempting to pervert the course of Justice

- Akpobolokemi, is being tried by the EFCC for N8.5 billion fraud

The absence of the convicted Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Joseph Nwobike, on Wednesday, May 23, stalled the trial of ex-NIMASA D-G, Patrick Akpobolokemi, before a Federal High Court, Lagos.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Nwobike, who is the counsel to Akpobolokemi, was convicted of criminal charges on April 30 by Justice Raliat Adebiyi for attempting to pervert the course of Justice.

He was sentenced by Justice Adebiyi to a month imprisonment for the offence.

Akpobolokemi, a former director general of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) is being charged for N8.5 billion fraud.

READ ALSO: Christian elders in Nigeria seek British intervention over security crises plaguing the country

Also joined in the suit are a former military commander of the Niger-Delta Joint Task Force Operation Pulo Shield, Emmanuel Atewe, and two other staffs of the agency, Kime Engonzu and Josephine Otuaga.

The defendants are being tried before the court by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

When the case came up on Wednesday, there was no legal representation for Akpobolokemi, but Chidinma Okoronkwo appeared for the second accused while Adamu Ibrahim appeared for the third and fourth accused.

The judge, Ayokunle Faji, consequently, adjourned the case until June 26, for continuation of trial.

Faji said, while adjourning the case that: “In view of the issue surrounding legal representation of the first defendant, this case will be adjourned until June 26.”

The judge ordered that the date be communicated to the representative of EFCC, who was not also in court.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Akpobolokemi and others are being accused of diverting N8.5 billion from Operation Pulo Shield between Sep. 5, 2014 and May 20, 2015, through some companies. The companies are Jagan Ltd; Jagan Trading Company Ltd; Jagan Global Services Ltd; Al-Nald Ltd; Paper Warehouse Ltd; Eastpoint Integrated Services Ltd and De-Newlink Integrated Services Ltd.

The accused had each pleaded not guilty to the charges and were granted bail.

NAIJ.com previously reported that Calistus Obi, an ex-acting director of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), who is being tried for an alleged N136 million fraud, has told the Federal High Court, Lagos, that he used part of the money to build his hotel located in Delta state, Punch reports.

Obi is standing trial alongside Alu Dismas, a former personal assistant to Patrick Akpobolokemi, his predecessor.

Top 4 corruption cases - on NAIJ.com TV:

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Be careful as NiMet releases weather forecast for Friday, August 17

Be careful as NiMet releases weather forecast for Friday, August 17

Be careful as NiMet releases weather forecast for Friday, August 17
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel