- The Italian government has issued warning to a German aid group
- The minister of interior for Italy said 224 illegal migrants would not be allowed into the country
- He said the Libyan migrants will only see Italy on postcards
The Italian minister of interior, Matteo Salvini, has warned that 224 illegal migrants would not be allowed into the country.
Salvini on Thursday, June 21, refused port to a Dutch-flagged rescue boat with the migrants just one week after turning away another foreign ship, the Aquarius, which was carrying 630 migrants.
Daily Mail UK reports that the German aid operated ship had loaded Libyan migrants despite warnings from Italian coast guards to leave rescue mission to Libya.
The minister also said he had contacted the Dutch ambassador on the matter with a warning that the Libyans 'will only see Italy on a postcard'.
However, denying the minister's claims, the German aid group said it conducted the rescue on international waters.
The group said it requested for a safe port which is yet to be assigned to it following the minister's defiance.
A spokesperson for the German Mission Lifeline, Axel Steier, said the migrants were doing well although same cannot be said for those of them coming from Libya.
Steier added that the Libyan migrant have suffered various levels of abuse, torture and slaverry and need protection from more vices.
According to Steier, the group was looking for a safe port 'such as Lampedusa or Pozzallo', both in Sicily. "We never were in Libyan waters," Steier said.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that many Nigerians have voluntarily returned to Nigerian from Libya.
The returnees were repatriated through the help of the federal govenmnet and some internbational agencies.
Also, the Nigerian Senate in a recent outburst condemned the ongoing abuse and torture of many Nigerians in various detention camps in Libya.
Mass deportation: Tales of woes from Libya - on NAIJ.com TV