- The chairman of Bi-Courtney Construction Company, Dr Wale Babalakin, says Jonathan stalled the completion of the Lagos-Ibadan road project
- Babalakin says if Jonathan had not interfered with the project, it would have been awarded before 2014
- He says the project would have been an eight-lane highway with seven overhead bridges and thought-out facilities
Ex-president, Goodluck Jonathan, has been accused of stalling the completion of the Lagos-Ibadan road project.
Vanguard reports that the chairman of Bi-Courtney Construction Company, Dr Wale Babalakin (SAN), made the allegation on Tuesday, June 26.
NAIJ.com gathers that Babalakin said this in Gbongan, Osun, at the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) 2018 policy meeting. He said if not for government interference, the road project would have been completed before 2014 at the cost of N112 billion.
Bi-Courtney Construction was awarded the project under concession arrangement by late President Umaru Yar'Adua in 2009, but was terminated in 2012 by the Jonathan administration.
Babalakin said: "If the ill-advised move that led Jonathan’s administration to interfere with the Lagos-Ibadan road project had not happened, the road would have been completed on or before 2014.
“It would have been an eight-lane highway with seven overhead bridges and thought-out facilities at a cost not exceeding N112 billion. Today, we are faced with an unending project with indeterminable cost and maximum inconvenience to road users."
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that the minister of power, works and housing, Babatunde Fashola, announced the approval of N64.108 billion for additional works on section one of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway by the Federal Executive Council (FEC).
The additional works of the project is about 43.6 kilometers including the construction of pedestrian bridges and toll plazas as well as modification of the quality of bitumen.
What does Nigeria need right now? (Nigerian Street Interview) | on NAIJ.com TV