- An Italian trade union consisting Fiat workers in Melfi, Italy are going on strike following Cristiano Ronaldo's €100m switch to Juventus
- The Fiat workers action is targeted to the Agnelli family who holds about 63.77 percent of Juventus.
- The strike action would hold for two days from the evening of July 15-17
An Italian trade union consisting Fiat workers in Melfi, Italy are proceeding on an industrial action following Cristiano Ronaldo's €100 million switch to Juventus, reports suggest.
The Los Blancos confirmed on Tuesday that the Portugal star would be quitting the club to join Serie A champions.
However, as soon as the news of the potential transfer deal went viral, Fiat workers threatened to take action against their employers. The car manufacturer Fiat, to which the brand Ferrari exclusively belongs, is reportedly 29.1 percent owned by the Agnelli family, who also hold about 63.77 percent of Juventus.
According to an ESPN report, the Unione Sindicale di Base has already issued a statement, insisting that the strike action would hold for two days from the evening of July 15-17.
"It is unacceptable that, while for years you have continued to ask FCA [Fiat Chrysler Automobiles] and CNHI [Case and New Holland Industrial] workers to make enormous sacrifices on an economic level, the company spends hundreds of millions of euros on the purchase of a footballer," the statement read in part.
"We are told that times are tough and that we must resort to social safety nets in anticipation of the launch of new models which never arrive.
"And, while the workers and their families tighten up the belts more and more the company decides to invest on a human resource for so much money. Is all of this right? Is it right that one single person can earn millions and yet thousands of families don't even get to the middle of the month?"
On the other hand, the Serie A champions confirmed the clubs had agreed on a transfer fee of €100m (approximately $117m), which remains a Serie A record, will see the Old Lady also splashing €12m in ancillary fees to land the 33-year-old Ronaldo, who signed a four-year contract.
Interestingly, eggheads of the Galaticos were eager to match Juventus' gross salary offer of around €55 million annually (approximately $64.5m), but the five-time Ballon d'Or winner had made up his mind to quit the La Liga side.
"We are all employees of the same owner but never as in this moment of huge social difficulty, this unequal treatment cannot and will not be accepted," it continued.
"Fiat workers have made the company's fortune for at least three generations, making whoever moves around the society rich and, in return, have received only misery.
"The company should invest in car models which guarantee the future of thousands of people rather than make just one person rich -- this has to be the objective for whoever puts the interests of its workers first. If this does not happen, it is because they prefer the world of sport, entertainment and everything else."
Juventus are expected to take part in four pre-season fixtures in the United States this summer which includes the MLS All-Star Game in Atlanta on August 1 alongside the International Champions Cup showdown on August 4 against Real Madrid in Washington.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously had reported that Juventus are close to agree a world record deal with Real Madrid for Ronaldo.
Since Portugal crashed out of the 2018 World Cup in Russia, the former Manchester United star has been linked with a move to Italy.
Juventus are said to have made £88m bid for Ronaldo and Real Madrid are ready to be open to the move.
John Mikel Obi's Father Was Kidnapped! | Naij.com TV