3 million people un urgent need of food in Nigeria’s northeast - UN declares

3 million people un urgent need of food in Nigeria’s northeast - UN declares

- The United Nations office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN-OCHA) says there is an urgent need to help 3 million people in the northeastern Nigeria

- The UN agency says the affected people are in serious need of food and nutrition

- It also reveals some of the actions it is taking in this direction

The United Nations office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN-OCHA) has declared that an estimated three million displaced persons are currently facing critical food and nutrition insecurity in the northeast.

NAIJ.com learnt that OCHA, in its humanitarian situation report for the month of June 2018, said no fewer than 1.7 million persons were displaced by the conflict in the region in the past nine years.

According to the fact sheet, the number of people estimated to be facing critical food and nutrition insecurity is projected at three million, following recent assessments exercise in the area.

The UN office said that humanitarian actors and partners were carrying out a re-targeting exercise in Borno and Yobe to ensure that the most vulnerable people receive food assistance.

READ ALSO: Breaking: Official results of Ekiti election

“Large-scale displacements continue to take place weekly; in the past seven months, since hostilities intensified in the northeast, more than 130,000 people have been displaced.

“In May alone; 21, 207 people arrived in various locations. Bama, Ngala, Gwoza, Dikwa and Biu recorded the highest number of new arrivals.

“These movements present major humanitarian challenges as resources are already overstretched in the locations where these civilians arrived.

“Given that military operations have been announced to continue throughout the 2018 rainy season, displacement trend is likely to continue until end of August," OCHA said as reported by NAN.

The UN agency disclosed that it had adopted a contingency response plan for the expected high level displacement due to military operations to cop with the situation.

According to it, the plan aimed to provide life-saving assistance to about 115,000 IDPs, expected to move from hard-to-reach areas to key towns in Mobbar, Kukawa, Monguno, Ngala, Kala Balge, Dikwa, Bama, and Gwoza local government councils of Borno.

“About 41.7million dollars is urgently needed to ensure sufficient preparedness and response activities to facilitate life-saving assistance for the new arrivals.

“These include shelter and non-food items; health care, food, water and sanitation, protection and nutrition,” it said while revealing that it had initiated resource mobilisation efforts for the rainy season contingency plan, to support 463,000 vulnerable persons in extreme weather localities such as Bama, Damasak and Rann.

OCHA further noted that it had already commenced distribution of life-saving items including food, seeds, medicines, emergency shelter, non-food items and hygiene kits.

The UN humanitarian body expressed satisfaction with effective response to control cholera outbreak in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states, recorded between February and May, 2018.

According to the document, the agency has set up five humanitarian hubs in Maiduguri, Gwoza, Bama, Ngala and Dikwa while additional four others would be established in Banki, Damasak, Monguno and Rann liberated communities.

"Following an early recovery perspective, the maiden Lake Chad Basin Governors’ Forum for Regional Cooperation on Stabilisation, Peace Building and Sustainable Development was held in Maiduguri between May 7 and 8.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app

“The aim was to promote continuous dialogue to strengthen coordination and collaboration on cross-border initiatives at the sub-national level around the Lake Chad Basin.

“In preparation for the 2019 humanitarian needs overview, data collection for a multi-sector needs assessment will be launched by mid-June in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe, while data analysis is expected to start in July," the organisation said.

NAIJ.com earlier reported that in 2017, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), said about 310,000 Internally Displaced Persons(IDPs), from seven local governments areas of Borno state have returned home following liberation of their communities and return of peace.

Nigeria Killings: 'Charly Boy' and Other Activists March to Aso Rock in Protest | Naij.com TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Those who want to defect can do so now - Tinubu expresses confidence in APC’s 2019 victory

You are part of the challenges we are facing now - Tinubu fires at Obasanjo

You are part of the challenges we are facing now - Tinubu fires at Obasanjo
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel