10 soldiers' bodies allegedly recovered after Boko Haram attack

10 soldiers' bodies allegedly recovered after Boko Haram attack

- Bodies of 10 soldiers who allegedly died in Borno during a Boko Haram attack have been found, according to a source

- This is as the army denied reports that any members of the troops died during the attack

Although the army insisted no one from its troops died after Boko Haram militants attacked Kwakwa and Chingori communities in the Bama area of Borno state, 10 soldiers' corpses have been recovered, according to a source.

The Punch reports that a military source claimed that while 10 bodies have been recovered so far, some soldiers are still missing.

NAIJ.com earlier reported that apart from the attack on Bama by the Boko Haram fighters, hundreds of soldiers also allegedly went missing after the insurgents overran their base in Jilli village, Yobe state.

READ ALSO: We’ll miss your invaluable contributions - Governors tell Fayose

A source who spoke to Punch said: “The update is that 10 corpses of soldiers ambushed in Borno have been recovered. The army is still looking for the rest of them. The terrorists are said to have links with ISWAP and they are from the Al-Barnawi faction. The army cannot sweep these attacks under the carpet because there were eyewitnesses to the two attacks in Borno and Yobe which happened on Saturday and Sunday.

“The army wishes to state categorically that the report is not true. There was an attempted attack on troops at Kwakwa and Chingori communities in the Bama area by suspected Boko Haram terrorists as a result of the difficult terrain where our vehicles became bugged down."

However, the Army director of public relations, Brig. Gen. Texas Chukwu, said the troops “successfully repelled” the terrorists’ attempt to cart away military operational vehicles and killed 22 of the Boko Haram terrorists. He said only two army personnel were injured during the attack.

Chukwu said: “The terrorists also attempted to cart away troops’ operational vehicles, but were successfully repelled by our troops with the support of the Nigerian Air Force. About 22 members of Boko Haram terrorists were neutralised while several others escaped with gunshot injuries. Efforts are being intensified by the troops to get the fleeing members of the Boko Haram terrorists.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

“Unfortunately, one officer and a soldier sustained injuries and are currently receiving medical attention at the military medical facility.”

NAIJ.com previously reported that troops in Borno rescued a “female child” abandoned by Boko Haram terrorists, who fled on sighting them, army spokesman, Brig.-Gen Texas Chukwu has said.

According to a statement issued by Chukwu, the troops on a “clearance operation” also recovered three AK47 riffle magazines, one FN rifle magazine and one vest from the terrorists.

Nigerian Air Force operations against Boko Haram - on NAIJ.com TV:

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Naija.ng

Related news
Man shares medicine he used to treat his glaucoma and cataract

Man shares medicine he used to treat his glaucoma and cataract

Man shares medicine he used to treat his glaucoma and cataract
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel