The newspaper review for Tuesday, July 17, leads with report of former national security adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki (retd), regaining his freedom in any moment as a Federal High Court Judge, Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu, has formally endorsed bail application granted him on July 2, 2018, among other stories.
The Punch reports that the Independent National Electoral Commission (NEC) has said it will probe the conduct and the outcome of the Ekiti state governorship election.
This is just as groups, including the Transparency International, the Socio-Economic Right and Accountability Project; and the Transition Monitoring Group on Monday condemned vote-buying during Saturday’s governorship election in Ekiti state.
The groups, in separate interviews, said vote-buying, had endangered the country’s democracy and could affect the credibility of the election.
READ ALSO: No evidence of rigging in Ekiti poll - CDD
They said this just as the Police Service Commission stated that it had received 35 complaints bordering on vote- buying, financial inducement and restiveness in some polling units during Saturday’s Ekiti governorship election.
Condemning the monetisation of the election, TI and SERAP said political parties that were not satisfied with the results must not resort to violence but seek redress at the tribunal.
Vanguard reports that former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki, is to regain his freedom in any moment as a Federal High Court Judge, Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu, formally endorsed the bail application granted him on July 2, 2018.
Dasuki has been in detention camp of Department of State Service (DSS) since December 29, 2015 when he was rearrested by security operatives.
Justice Ojukwu endorsed the bail application after Dasuki perfected all the conditions imposed on him by the court.
Family sources said the ex-NSA through his associates and sell-wishers perfected the bills which were verified by the officials of the Federal High Court in confirming their authenticity since last week. The endorsement of Justice Ojukwu by signing the bail papers today has cleared the way for Dasuki’s release.
The Nation reports that Ekiti state Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in last Saturday’s election got a reply to his threat to challenge the result in court. The INEC supervisor of the poll told Prof. Kolapo Olusola Eleka to head for the election tribunal.
The All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate Kayode Fayemi won the election, which was widely adjudged to be free and fair.
Also yesterday, Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti state faulted the outcome of the poll. He described Fayiemi’s victory as temporary, adding that it would be upturned at the tribunal.
Fayose alleged that nobody was rejoicing in the state, asking why people were not celebrating if the result reflected the will of the people.
This Day reports that no fewer than 44 persons were feared dead and scores missing as flood wreaked havoc in 10 communities in Jibia local government area of Katsina state on Sunday night.
Some of the communities badly affected by the flood were Kwata, Dantudu, Sabuwar, Tukare, Tsohuwar Tukare and Ungwar Mai Kwari.
According to the District Head of Jibia, Alhaji Rabe Rabi’u, who confirmed the development in a telephone interview, while on an assessment tour of the affected areas, the incident was “highly devastating.”
“As I speak to you, we discovered the corpses of 25 persons, including mothers and children and many are missing. Over 260 cows, sheep and goats were killed by the flood. The heavy rainfall started around 11p.m. on Sunday night and stopped by 1 a.m. this morning (Monday),” he said.
The district head, however, called on the federal and state governments to come to their aid, considering the devastating nature of the flood, stressing, “It is only government that can assist us because the situation is beyond our financial strengths.”
The Guardian reports that the Nigerian Army has denied any of its personnel were missing in an attack by Boko Haram on Saturday.
However, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported yesterday: “No fewer than 23 Nigerian soldiers are yet to be accounted for after Boko Haram insurgents ambushed a military convoy at Boboshe village in Bama Local Government Area of Borno.
“Five officers, 18 soldiers and eight trucks were missing after the attack which occurred early on Saturday.
“The military, acting on intelligence, mobilised troops in a convoy of 11 trucks to clear the insurgents from the deserted village. The insurgents were believed to have been those who escaped the ongoing offensive by the military to flush out Boko Haram terrorists in the fringes of Sambisa Forest and the Lake Chad region."
Ekiti 2018: Residents reveal who will win the governorship election on NAIJ.com TV